• Register Today It's free!

Differential Questions

rriveroll

Reaction score
City, State
Caracas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sportrac 4x4
I have some questions regarding differentials that some of you may know the answer.

I want to intall one locking differential for more traction

1) Tractionwise in mud. would it be the same if I did the front vs the rear?

2) I understand that automatic (dont really want to put a hole on the diff case) mecanical locking differentials may be dangerous in cornering in normal street driving, but if i did the front instead of the rear, would this pose any danger in 2WD Hi?

3) How about in 4WD Hi?

4) What brand and model differential do you recommend?

5) I will be running 33 inch tires, whar differential gear ratios do you recommend so that I get say 10-20% more torque that the standard tyres.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy have you opened a can of worms. These answers are my opinion, so some may disagree.

1) Rear is better. Front lockers that are not selectable really take away from your ability to turn. Also, most often a locker in the rear is better because on a upslope weight transfers to the rear, so that is where more traction will help the most. I have a truetrac (limited slip) in the front, and it is great in the mud, but on tight trails, I have to back up from time to time.

2) If your vehicle is a daily driver, you may want to consider a limited slip like a truetrac or torsen. They put much less stress on the axle shafts and tires, still offer increased traction. In 2WD, I am assuming that you do not have full time 4x4, then it would make no difference.

3) In 4wd high, the whole turning thing comes into play. Snow becomes a problem, because if both front wheels spin, you loose you ability to steer.

4) Lunch box lockers, Aussie and Detroit/Eaton make good units that may be installed without having to reset the gears (about $300). If you are going to regear that is not an issue, for the rear you cant beat a Detroit automatic locker.

5) 4.56 axle ratio for 33s. Tons of torque, decent gas mileage. My 04 Ranger has 4.10 with 31 (torsen limited slip) and it will light up the rear end on pavement. Some like 4.10 with 33s, but IMO it depends on you and how much off roading you do.

Use the search feature on this fourm for tons if information and opinions. Good luck.

PowerTrax lockers automatically unlock, and function like an "open" differential when turning, but offer the performance of a "spool" (locked) while not turning. These units don't require any modifications to the housing, or ring gear carrier. The locker unit replaces the factory side gears, spider gears, and cross pin.
I would imagine if you wanted more grunt than with stock gear ratios and tires, running 33's, maybe go to a lower (numerically higher) 4.56:1 gear set(s).

Unclemeat, thanks for the reply

Do you think a seput with a limited slip or TORSEN in the back and an Automatic Locker in the front like a PowerTrax would work ok for steet (safety) and mud? I drive street in 2WD mostly (execpt when it pouring and slippery 4wd high) and dirt in either 4WD high or low, my truck does not have AWD.

How about an automatic locker like the PowerTrax for both. They claim it will only lock when needed, but as i said before I am concerned they may lock up in mid turn on wet tramac?

Only a selectable locker is really going to be street (snow, gravel roads, and tight trails) high speed friendly for the front end (open/locked). It is not that it will engage in the middle of the turn, it will prevent you from entering the corner, wont turn. Automatic lockers belongs in the rear.

Traction devices in the front differential drasticaly change the steering in 4wd. My explorer has a limited slip front, and I can almost steer with the throttle. Steering with a locker is even more challenging.

It is a good idea to do you axles all at once. If you regear than any differential can be installed because. Make a realistic plan save your coin and do the complete upgrade. The decisions to add traction devices should be based on your driving habits.

IMO if you are mostly drive 4WD in high traction conditions, rain or snow, I would use a limited slip (Torsen of Truetrak) in the rear and open up front.

Well lets see. We don't know what size tires you currently have, or what gear ratio you currently have. Anyone can guess...
But 4.56 with 33's would be pretty ideal. A powertrax or aussie locker doesn't really function like an open differential when you turn all the time. The only function like an open diff when you are NOT placing a load on the drivetrain. If you accellerate while turning, the diff remains locked and the tires scrub off the differential in speed, usually chirping the tires a bit. Or if it is wet or slippery during that turn, the diff stays locked. This will cause either oversteer or understeer. Sometimes one, followed by the other.
Having said all that, adjusting your driving habits makes it completely tolerable, even for a daily driver. However, I wouldn't hand my keys to someone else who didn't know how it handled, especially when it's slick out.
A locker in the front will have no ill effects in 2wd high.
Offroad, it is debatable which which is better. My thought is that the rear axle is much stronger than the front cv joints, so the rear is the safer option. Also, a locked front diff is said to suck BADLY in the snow/ice.

I run a Powertrax in my trucks rear axle with 33's and 4.56 gears and I'm quite happy with the combo on road and off road.

Lockers in the rear are not dangerous at all except in snow/ice conditions, it takes everything my 2.9s got to break both tires loose in the rain, a 4.0 will do it easier but you'll have to want it break em loose, the ass end isn't going to slide out unexpectedly. I daily drive with a lock-right with no complaints, it's silent and is pretty smooth if you drive it right. Easily the best money I've spent on my rig so far. I've also just got an Aussie locker for the D35 I'm putting in soon.
A Locker VS LS Video with my rig and a friends Sploder.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-lydlwgiW6Y

Ok, I finally ordered a 4.88 ring and pinion kit for the front and rear Power Locker.

I would also like now a front LS, does any know who makes one for the Dana 35?

Ok, I finally ordered a 4.88 ring and pinion kit for the front and rear Power Locker.

I would also like now a front LS, does any know who makes one for the Dana 35?
I honestly wouldn't bother with an LS, you will get very little if any increased off-road performance over an open diff. You can get the Detroit TruTrac if you insist on an LS.

I honestly wouldn't bother with an LS, you will get very little if any increased off-road performance over an open diff. You can get the Detroit TruTrac if you insist on an LS.

BS

Any know the part number for the front TruTrac for a 4.88 gearing Dana 35 IFS.

I called Eaton and they said it would not work for the front because the front Dana 35 is different than a Rear Dana 35.

Has anyone actually installed one and made it work?

Thanks

The only limited slip for the front is not being produced yet. Torsen hopes to have their limited slip diff for the front of a ranger/explorer some time this summer.

Oh really? Have you owned an LS and a locker? My old LS and everyones else that I know that has an LS, the LS= Epic fail. I performed no better for me than an open diff except on a flat super muddy surface. Refer to the above video I posted. Or the first couple minutes of this video and watch my friends XJ with an LS fail miserably against my B2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=bq4ENOJDUO8&feature=related .

A properly functioning LS is far better than an open rear. Not nearly as good as a true locker though.

I have a Truetrak in my front D35. It makes a big difference in traction compared to an open diff. You cant compare a truetrac to a worn out stock tracklock LS. There are others on the site running truetrak LS up front.

I have a Truetrak in my front D35. It makes a big difference in traction compared to an open diff. You cant compare a truetrac to a worn out stock tracklock LS. There are others on the site running truetrak LS up front.

Unclemeat, do you have a TruTrack part number for the front DANA 35, everywhere I call says it cant be done.

Thanks

Rodrigo

I don't, but I believe that there is a thread that is about a year or two old that will have the part number. Mine was installed in the third member when I bought it. I would also check on therangerstation.com for additional info.

A trutrac will still slip when getting tires in the air or taking a lot of weight off of them. I just can't justify the price/performance ratio, to each his own :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A truetrac will limited slip, and prevent axle failure. It works great for me and my driving habits. Automatic lockers are great for mud bogging and moderate rock crawling, but they also have disadvantages. I would prefer to have a selectable locker in the front, but just cant justify dropping $1200.

Back