• Register Today It's free!

Differential questions

Jacob Coonfield

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer XL
Anyone know if the front diff and CV axles out of a 99 5.0 will work in my 97 4.0 awd? Gearing commonly the same, is there any major differences, anyone know any tips on how to figure out what gearing my 97 has and figure out what gearing this 5.0 diff is? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.0 isn’t AWD. Only the V8s are AWD.

Check the drivers door sticker for the axle code of the 4.0.

They will interchange as long as the front and rear are matching ratios.

Thanks for the reply. Alright so noob question, my 4wd switch says auto-4x4high-4x4low. Meaning auto 4wd and not awd right? And the axle code on my door is D4, do you know how to figure out this 5.0 diffs gearing without opening it up?

Yes, you have automatic 4wd.

The 5.0 gearing will be 3.73, (D4 code) as well.

The diff cover off the 5.0 says DANA, 47466, 98-99, rev A, 8-14 95. Some of that is self explanatory but do you know which numbers are what and if there's an online parts search I can enter the right number into and figure it out?

To figure what out? It’s a Dana D35.

Awesome thank you. This is the first front differential I've had to replace and I just wanted to make double sure the parts I have on hand are going to work. Trying to save some money getting used parts but I want it done right and dont want issues later.

The front differentials are the same, so it shouldn’t be an issue. The v8 and v6 use all the same suspension and axles, and all V8s are always 3.73s.

all V8s are always 3.73s.

Not necessarily true. 3.55's were an option on the later model V8's, 2wd and Awd, 2000 - 2001. Out of a 2000 Explorer owners manual:

upload_2019-4-26_8-6-52.png

3.73's are WAY more common, but the odd 3.55 will be out there.

Out of the literally hundreds of V8s I’ve looked at every single one was a 3.73. We hear of the 4.10s being available in the V8s as well, but no one has ever actually been able to show a door sticker of a V8 with anything but a D4 axle code.

Out of the literally hundreds of V8s I’ve looked at every single one was a 3.73. We hear of the 4.10s being available in the V8s as well, but no one has ever actually been able to show a door sticker of a V8 with anything but a D4 axle code.

There were tens of thousands made; a hundred is a very small subset. Ford said they made them for two years.

They are out there... (Queue "X-files" music)

Back