Differential Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differential Swap

666k9

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been ask a lot. Looking to buy another Explorer for the front differential. Mine is a 98 4WD with a D4 axel. Are 95 to 01 D4 differentials all compatible with my 98?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes that is 3:73 ratio and the code means your rear axle is limited slip. You can get front axle from a truck with code 46(I think) also. It is 3.73 gears also just has an open rear diff.

98-01 will have the diff you need

The 95 is different , they came with a bump on the passenger side tube , its a vacuum operated disconnect , stick with 96 and up

The 95 is different , they came with a bump on the passenger side tube , its a vacuum operated disconnect , stick with 96 and up
96 also has the CAD system. (center axle disconnect). 97 don't.
Thinking that could be a good mod for AWD. Can't be too hard to wire up a vacuum switch to activate it, and you have full 2wd. Now, there could be an issue with the truck moving in park, same as removing the driveshaft. Good parking brake is a must. Anyone try that?

with the v8 there is a bit of interference issue with the oil pan, for true 2wd do a manual case swap 4406 for the v8s , and look up the AVM hub swap

Back