Solved - Differential Swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Differential Swap

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I think we're pretty much done with the snow here in Colorado for this season, and early next year we're moving back somewhere on the west coast. Would've been nice to have a good snow vehicle but isn't absolutely necessary
then maybe an LS, if you dont feequently drive in snow. imo it isnt too hard, but if someone who leaned to drive on an open dif drives it, they might put it into a ditch as mentioned. but imo it isnt too hard as long as youre aware of it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So speaking of the diffs, does the front diff just use RTV for a gasket? Can't find one listed anywhere and the manuals I have don't go into much detail about it.

You can use RTV, but gaskets are available. I always use a gasket when it’s an option. If using RTV, I’d use Ultra Black.

You can use RTV, but gaskets are available. I always use a gasket when it’s an option. If using RTV, I’d use Ultra Black.

ultra black is where its at. that stuff is tonna outlast me 🤣 but yes where possible use a gasket

So speaking of the diffs, does the front diff just use RTV for a gasket? Can't find one listed anywhere and the manuals I have don't go into much detail about it.
For the rear diif use a lubelocker gasket

What’s a LS diff good for? I’ve always been an open guy, and thought the LS would be better in conditions with little traction. Guess not?

Ultra Black works super well. Lasts forever. It just makes changing the fluid more of a pain…unless you install a cover with a drain plug.

But even then, you’ll still want to remove the cover and give the diff a thorough cleaning periodically. Crap settles in the bottom of the housing

What’s a LS diff good for? I’ve always been an open guy, and thought the LS would be better in conditions with little traction.
imo LS is nice for stuff like the boat ramp, or light/med offroading. LS would in theory by nice when youre on snow/ice as it gives more traction. but it can also send you into a slide more than open, cause if one tire starts to spin, by its nature it will spin the other tire too, thus breaking traction and sending you into a spin. offroading though LS is good in that it keeps tractiom, but it finds its limits on rocks where you lift a tire or where the difference is too great, thats where a locker comes in, as cutches can only grip so hard. a way to overcme this is give it a little brake to try to equalize the pressure, but in some cases the difference is just too large. thats where a selectable locker comes in. open normally, but if you get stuck/find yourself spinning one tire, lock it and go. :D the ls is nice in that it will "adjust automatically" so to speak, but that can also not be good depending on conditions

A limited slip is great anytime you need traction. It’s a problem when you break traction because the normally non powered wheel isn’t acting like an idler. A quality driver won’t have much issue with a limited slip. It’s also less of an issue if you’re AWD, or are in 4wd.

I wouldn’t buy a truck that doesn’t have some sort of traction device in the rear, unless I was planning to add one.

A limited slip is great anytime you need traction. It’s a problem when you break traction because the normally non powered wheel isn’t acting like an idler. A quality driver won’t have much issue with a limited slip. It’s also less of an issue if you’re AWD, or are in 4wd.

I wouldn’t buy a truck that doesn’t have some sort of traction device in the rear, unless I was planning to add one.
agreed, but at first it does have a bit of a learning curve coming from open

If you are not drag racing everywhere you go, you may not notice it often. I can't tell my van has an LS unless I'm burning rubber. The ass end will try to walk around and pass me if I don't let out of it to regain traction.

If you are not drag racing everywhere you go, you may not notice it often. I can't tell my van has an LS unless I'm burning rubber. The ass end will try to walk around and pass me if I don't let out of it to regain traction.
It’s really only an ice issue. On dry roads it should be almost entirely transparent.

I drive like I’m 80 years old, so

I have limited slip in my 91 and they will go through a lot more than two open diffs, yes they can get a little squirrely on ice but it doesn’t take long to get used to it. The gearing on mine is a little high for the 31x10.50’s and it could really use lower gears but I overland with it and it is very capable with L/S

then maybe an LS, if you dont feequently drive in snow. imo it isnt too hard, but if someone who leaned to drive on an open dif drives it, they might put it into a ditch as mentioned. but imo it isnt too hard as long as youre aware of it
As someone that has both lost the car once and saved it another time I can assure you that a very slippery road can do you damage. I found that if you have the presence of mind to push the clutch in or put the trans in neutral you can probably straighten it out if it hasn't gotten too far out of line. Both rear wheels have to be able to turn freely without pressure from the drive train to allow it to happen.

As someone that has both lost the car once and saved it another time I can assure you that a very slippery road can do you damage. I found that if you have the presence of mind to push the clutch in or put the trans in neutral you can probably straighten it out if it hasn't gotten too far out of line. Both rear wheels have to be able to turn freely without pressure from the drive train to allow it to happen.
My dad had a 87 ranger with limited/ slip and it got away from me a couple of times, both times I hit ice in a corner and had to resort to the nascar, foot to the floor and spin it around, rather that fight a loosing battle 😂😲

Limited slips aren’t hard to drive. I’d they truly made a car unwieldy they wouldn’t be a factory option. It’s only an issue if you’re spinning, and the only real times it’s been a problem for me was the way I was driving.

Looks like spicer/Dana does make a TracLoc for the front, part number 74215X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back