• Register Today It's free!

difficult to insert ignition key

Russ in CT

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Ever since I bought my '02 EB (100K miles), it has been difficult to insert the key in the ignition (been going on for several months now). The key is not excessively worn. I tried lubing the lock, sprayed a bunch of silicone in there, didn’t help. Its usually not very difficult to get the key out, it seems to only be going in that is a problem. Its not every time, sometimes it goes in fine. I only have one key, so I can’t rule out the key as the problem, but like I said, not worn, no nicks or damage apparent to the key, not bent, etc.

Its like it gets jammed part way in, starts to go in OK, then gets stuck. Then its very difficult to pull back out to start over. When this happens, If I just whack it, it goes all the way in, but I’m sure the lock doesn’t appreciate this. I’m afraid one day the key will snap, or the lock will break. Once the key is all the way in, its never a problem pulling it back out.

I searched the archives, but did not find anything. Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks BB!

So if the cylinder is replaced, does that require a new ignition key? Won't be fun to have a different key for doors vs ignition (though I use the remote most of the time, so its not THAT bad).

My 93 has a separate ignition key. You could get a locksmith to rekey it for you if you really want to only have one key. Do you have the chip in a key? If so, then make sure that it's set on the same code as your old key.

Found a write up on the Focus forum about how to change the cylinder. I figured they would use a similar cylinder, both Ford PATS products, and indeed, one of the posts in the thread mentions using an Explorer cylinder as a replacement for the Focus unit (implying they are compatible, which should mean the replacement process is similar).

The cylinder itself does not have any of the PATS stuff in it, so no worries about reprogramming your keys, etc. The write up mentions that the dealer can lookup your VIN and make a non-PATS key, then use that to rekey the cylinder to match your key. Cool! Some dealers charge for this, some don't.

So for future reference for anyone else with this issue:

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/497529-new-ignition-cylinder-help.html

There is a little tab in the cylinder that makes the dinger sound when you leave you key in the ignition. It gets worn and starts jam up against the key. Change the cylinder now. If it breaks off and gets stuck down inside it is a major pain to change the cylinder. Just had it happen to my nephews stang just lucky we where in the autozone parking lot.

You can get a new lock cylinder from AutoZone? I would have thought that was a dealer only item.

Back