Diffs, transfer case and transmission fluid changes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diffs, transfer case and transmission fluid changes

keith904

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer 4.0 V6 4WD
I have a 2010 Explorer Eddie 4wd with about 100k on it. I am working my way through changing all the fluids so it is good for the next 100k :)

I think I understand how to change the rear diff oil, and intend to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid on the transmission.

My questions are:

1. I want to change the transfer case oil. I see ford recommend their own Motorcraft 'Transfer Case Fluid'. Not sure what this is, but I wanted to use a good synthetic Mercon ATF (I was thinking Mobil 1). Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this? Also I cannot find any pictures (or videos) to show me a 4th Gen Explorer and where the drain and fill plugs are on the transfer case - I am new at car maintenance and find that getting familiar using pictures and videos ahead of time helps a lot!

2. I wanted to change out the front differential oil too. I have read there is no drain plug on the front diff, is this correct? I have also read that it can be difficult/impossible to get the front diff cover off? Any advice on how I do this? Also does anyone have any videos or pictures of this on 2010 (or equiv) Explorer? I was going to fill this with a synthetic 75W-90 gear oil.

3. I have replaced the fuel filer, air filter and obviously change the oil and filter frequently. Is there anything else I should be thinking of doing in terms of preventative maintenance?

Any help and advise on this would be greatly appreciated!

To answer your questions, Mobil 1 ATF is fine to use (that is what I use in the tranny and t-case); #2 you are correct there is no drain plug but it is not terribly difficult to get the cover off if you have the right tools ( don't do this very often so don't recall exact tools used but it was no different to me than pulling the cover off any other differential); and as far as anything else goes I would change the spark plugs since you are at 100K miles.

Thank you Flag Gibby. I had read all sorts of posts on the front differential and how taking the cover off was hard as some of the bolts were not accessible without removing other parts of the car. I guess this is not the case in the 4th gen Explorers?

I will do the spark plugs, that is good advice. So when I do the plugs should I replace the leads too, or is this really not required?

I recall only one of the bolts being somewhat hard to get at but with the right socket attachments it is really not that hard. As far as the spark plug wires go, it is up to you since the OEM wires are of good quality and unless you have a bit of an engine miss there really is no need to.

Back