Digital odometer test mode? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

  • Register Today It's free!

Digital odometer test mode?

Can't wait to go home now!

Think this will work on my '00? ;)
 



Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!
.





Kewl...gonna try on my 02.
 






I don't see how this would work on a 01 or older explorer, they didn't have digital odometers. In 02 and newer models, the message center wasn't in the center console anymore, they integrated it into the odometer.
This also doesn't work on my '02 XLT with the message center. I think it has it's own diagnostic stuff, that might only be accessable thru the diagnostic port.

My guess is the regular digital odo doesn't have it's own computer to communicate with the external computer that the dealer would use, And the message center dash does indeed have it's own computer (obviously) that can communicate via the trucks computer and run diagnostics.

Sounds plausible to me.
 






FordLover said:
I don't see how this would work on a 01 or older explorer, they didn't have digital odometers. In 02 and newer models, the message center wasn't in the center console anymore, they integrated it into the odometer.
This also doesn't work on my '02 XLT with the message center. I think it has it's own diagnostic stuff, that might only be accessable thru the diagnostic port.

My guess is the regular digital odo doesn't have it's own computer to communicate with the external computer that the dealer would use, And the message center dash does indeed have it's own computer (obviously) that can communicate via the trucks computer and run diagnostics.

Sounds plausible to me.

But not all '02s have a message center. They have one similar to the Mustang's used in the pics. One guy already verified it worked on his.
 






IAmTodd said:
But not all '02s have a message center. They have one similar to the Mustang's used in the pics. One guy already verified it worked on his.


yes, agreed. But this won't work on any 01 or older explorer, nor explorers with the message center, apparently. So if you have the non message center '02, '03 or '04 explorer it should work, and those are the only ones. Although I'd think this might work on sport trac's with digital odometer and perhaps the last year or two of the sports if they had the digi odo.
 






This should work on any ford vehicle "WITH" a digital odometer "WITHOUT" the message center.

Vic
 






I tried this on my '02 XLS and no luck.
 






P. doggy said:
I tried this on my '02 XLS and no luck.


NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :mad: crap was gonna try it this weekend. Well then got my answer.
 






P. doggy said:
I tried this on my '02 XLS and no luck.
It worked on my 02 XLT. Maybe you did one of the steps wrong??

Vic
 






If your XLT has the message center option activated, that is probably why it works for you. The XLS did not even have that listed as an original option.
 






P. doggy said:
If your XLT has the message center option activated, that is probably why it works for you. The XLS did not even have that listed as an original option.
I don't have the message center. All I have is the regular odometer with the trip odo, It also shows the outside temp on that same display.

Vic
 






Worked in our '02 XLT w/o Message Center. Like said previously, there are alot more parameters than whats listed in that little write-up.
 






This is sweet!

Apr2720062233.jpg
 












I got it to work today. It was resetting my trip, so I had to wait until I fueled up. Still checking mileage.
 






Back
Top