• Register Today It's free!

Dim Headlights

Jarubell

Reaction score
City, State
Was Winnipeg, Manitoba now Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP 92 XLT
My headlights are very dim even when I change the bulb. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to take out a meter, Check for bad ground and for proper voltage supply to rule out wiring issues.

Mike

I'll do that, Thanks

old battery and alternator...bad ground also

question:

Do they dim and "flicker" at idle but become steady when you are driving?

If so, your alternator is not putting out the appropriate voltage and it may need to be replaced.

How long have you had the problem? If your alternator is bad, I suspect you're on borrowed time before the truck won't start at all (and the battery will be toast).

Mike

This has been a problem for some time now. I do have a new battery and it starts like a new truck for the last 3 months since I installed it. Maybe I should test the alternator (take it to a shop). I don't see any flickering or dimming between idling and throttling. A friend also told me to polish the lens with car wax. So I guess i'll try that too. I'm still going to test the voltage at the lights.

to test ur alternator, disconnect the battery while its running...if it quits its the alternater.

I would use a plastic polish for the headlights or upgrade them to the 2000 land cruser style ones. I was reading and was told the land cruser ones are a direct fit and are glass over the problemed plastic ford ones.

As for the Alternator, whats the Volt gage reading? If you don't have one then take an Volt/Oms meter and check it at the battery. If it reads from 14.6 to 16.4 while the truck is running then you are fine. Below 14.6 running then I would look at replacing the Alternator.

I have the headlight flicker at idol with my 91 sport 5spd and my alternator gauge rotates VERY quickly (back and forth) for a bit at idle when first started then all is well after a few minutes or so. Not sure what it is - I am thinking alternator belt is a bit loose - new alternator a few years ago. Not sure.

Back