Diminished key fob range

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
For some odd reason, my key fob doesn't lock the car unless if I am 10 feet away. Before I could get it to lock or unlock 100 feet or more. I changed the battery and everything. This happened on my F150 as well and I never figured out why or how to fix it. Anyone had this issue before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a phone/tablet charger plugged in one of the 12V power sources? I remember this being an issue especially on the Explorer & the center console 12V power socket.

Have a phone/tablet charger plugged in one of the 12V power sources? I remember this being an issue especially on the Explorer & the center console 12V power socket.

WOW, YES! I have an inverter in it. This did the trick! But why???

Along the same lines you have to be careful what kind of light bulbs you put in your garage door opener unit. Some CFL and especially LED bulbs will generate radio waves in the same frequency band the opener operates in. This can be annoying to troubleshoot because when coming home the transmitter will open the door without issue (because the lights are initially off), but when leaving the door may not close (because they lights came on). As with most things in life you get what you pay for. The more expensive LEDs emit less radio energy.

I found that having my smartphone and my keys in the same pocket (shorts) that the phone completely blocks the signal between the door handles/hatch foot under/button.
Different issue but thought if someone came in with this issue it would be good to share.
Remove the phone OR keys from the shared pocket.... and works normally.

Along the same lines you have to be careful what kind of light bulbs you put in your garage door opener unit. Some CFL and especially LED bulbs will generate radio waves in the same frequency band the opener operates in. This can be annoying to troubleshoot because when coming home the transmitter will open the door without issue (because the lights are initially off), but when leaving the door may not close (because they lights came on). As with most things in life you get what you pay for. The more expensive LEDs emit less radio energy.
My opener just has the old inexpensive incandescent bulbs.;)

Would an always powered dashcam also reduce the signal? My range on 2 fobs with new batteries checked at 3.15v max. is
4 feet if I hold it to my chin.

I was able to remote start my previous 2011 from 200'. Never tried it any further away. What were you trying to do with your fob? You can try turning the dashcam off to see if it is affecting the range.

Peter

I was able to remote start my previous 2011 from 200'. Never tried it any further away. What were you trying to do with your fob? You can try turning the dashcam off to see if it is affecting the range.

Peter
Temp crashed here and wanted to remote start. While outside putting my snow tires on I tried the fob inside the car then right next to it and everything worked on the first try. Four feet away from the car thru the house window with the fob on my chin it would take multiple tries to get the locks to work

Temp crashed here and wanted to remote start. While outside putting my snow tires on I tried the fob inside the car then right next to it and everything worked on the first try. Four feet away from the car thru the house window with the fob on my chin it would take multiple tries to get the locks to work
Do you happen to have anything plugged into the power ports?

Yes, the dascam which fits over my mirror. But i have already unplugged it and still nothing. Where is the antenna for the receiver?
I'm not positive but it may be under the console. If you look at the 14th illustration you will see that there are 2 passive start antennas located there. 2011-2015 Explorer Component Location Views

Peter

Ok, I would guess no one can explain this. Tried both my fobs late last night and got nothing from 4 feet away. This morning as far away but still inside easily 50 ft.
tried it again and the remote starter worked fine. It is certainly not a power issue because it was a slow crank at 3 deg. here

Thought it might have been in the head liner along the windshield
Found this post from one of our more knowledgeable members on the antenna location; Key Fob Range
BTW at 11am with the sun out, the temperature here now has warmed up to -11 F.:bounce:

Peter

Last edited:

Found this post from one of our more knowledgeable members on the antenna location; Key Fob Range
BTW at 11am with the sun out, the temperature here now has warmed up to -5 F.:bounce:

Peter

This was yesterday morning.

48821.jpeg

Sorry, I miscalculated. Used the wrong conversion arrow on my calculator, Actually it warmed up to -11.2 F. It was -20 F overnight. Apparently this is all coming over the North Pole from Siberia. More Russian interference. :)

Peter

Back