Dimming Message Center

Steeda04SVT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB Explorer 5.0
Can it be done and if so, has anyone done it yet? Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want it long term, window tint might work.

That's a good idea.

doesn't it dim when you turn your lights on? mine does, it also goes dimmer when I dim my dash lights..

Si

Mine doesn't.

I have never done this, but if you follow the power input to the screen, it may be possible to add a potentiometer in series before it reaches the screen,which would dim the screen. but I am unsure if this may damage the screen if it need a certain amount of power.

I thought about that to, but didn't want to mess with the power to the screen.

I thought about that to, but didn't want to mess with the power to the screen.

You can be the engineer if you want? If I where you I would study the wiring diagram and see how it is set up, then do some research possibly with a junk yard screen, on a bench test. I forgot the name of screen it uses, but I don't believe it is sensitive to varying power, maybe constantly varying power, but a controlled decrease in power may not do anything.

I am unsure where you live, but I live in the midwest, so this sounds like a great idea for something to do, while I am stuck inside while it is cold. :D

I'm from the midwest, but stationed out here in the Southwest. The dimmer switch is on my project list. But I do have a spare one I did buy from a JY. So I will give it a whirl soon enough.

That's strange, mine dims, so does my friends 99...

That's strange, mine dims, so does my friends 99...

If this is true Steeda04SVT, you may have a disconnected wire. I will test and see if it does in on my 96' tonight.

I tested mine tonight, mine dims with the switch. it even goes completely out if you turn it all the way down. So you may just have a loose wire, or something may have become disconnected.

Back