Jade Pearl Update/Build Log | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jade Pearl Update/Build Log

Carnos hands were stupidly small, think it still holds the record? So yeah, kind of funny to look at!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, now for a little fun and because it's one of the few extra leds I had on hand. Replaced on of my factory floorboard lights, with a black light. Can't even find the passenger side one, just the hole that the socket normally sits in, but no socket or wires. But one works at least, it is brighter in person

20220802_232617.jpg

Just some fun on the trails today, with all the rain we had, surprised it was almost dry out there. There were a couple little spots though, few that worried me since I no longer have 4WD, but she made it like a champ. Main purpose: guy recently moved into town, was showing him around one of the local state parks to see some trails and camp areas for him and his family. Which, he drove a 90s Toyota land cruiser, snorkel, rhino lined, awd, think he said lockers(?), the whole shebang! Was quite fun, handled very nicely, annoyed that his came with a solid axle and mines ifs, but that may change in a few years. Even took his down a couple since some weren't technically vehicle trails and got a little tight for mine. But we came up to a creek spot, which definitely looked like it got deep, but he wanted to try, since he had me to pull him out just in case, and well....he made it like 5 ft before it was over the hood, coming in the doors and couldn't back out due to being incredibly soft. So Jade showed her worth and pulled him out after a few tries, I dug some nice holes at the start though. But yeah, pulled him on out, was pouring water for like 10 mins down the trails, but we both kept on trucking for a good bit more and then called it for the day. But I coated his truck in dirt on the first pull, literally coated the passenger side mostly, had the windows down till then 😂
can kind of see the creek just in front of his truck

So remember kids: don't attempt to drive through a creek without someone to help! Or maybe you'll end up swimming with the fishies like his Toyota almost did 😂

Not going to lie, was nice having a trail buddy, never really had anyone that'll go down any trail and through just about anything alongside me. Usually the guy I go with has a standard chevy equinox 2wd, so its low and not equipped, and his girlfriends car is a honda crv, more clearance but still not good for that stuff like Deathrow and Jade are 😅

PicsArt_08-06-01.41.11.jpg 20220806_132352.jpg 20220806_132338.jpg 20220806_132310(0).jpg 20220806_132305(0).jpg

And the Halloween decor has begun!! Will have some more stuff on tonight

20220811_105233.jpg 20220811_105228.jpg 20220811_105220.jpg 20220811_105206.jpg PicsArt_08-11-07.38.04.jpg 20220810_213028.jpg 20220810_213021.jpg 20220810_213013.jpg 20220810_213007.jpg

And here we are! Still have some extra chains and a rusty hook and chain that I could use, though I'm pretty happy with just these! Wish I could hang one across the tailgate like the bedsides, still going to see if I can mess with doing so 😂

20220812_140104(0).jpg 20220812_140049(0).jpg 20220812_140115.jpg 20220812_140127.jpg 20220812_140053.jpg 20220812_140137.jpg

Anyone got suggestions for the bedside chains? I'm alright with them flapping around a bit. But they're light enough right now that when I get up to speed, they just fling themselves into the bed, messing up the hook angles and just hiding them altogether. Was kind of thinking some tape to just hold it where it is? Or maybe ziptie something a little heavy to the center of them? That way they still flap, but not so bad. But I'm not sure what I'd use either...I'm so lost, should've thought about it sooner 😅

Anyone got suggestions for the bedside chains? I'm alright with them flapping around a bit. But they're light enough right now that when I get up to speed, they just fling themselves into the bed, messing up the hook angles and just hiding them altogether. Was kind of thinking some tape to just hold it where it is? Or maybe ziptie something a little heavy to the center of them? That way they still flap, but not so bad. But I'm not sure what I'd use either...I'm so lost, should've thought about it sooner 😅
I'd look in the garden or home improvement dept. and get plastic chains! Wouldn't scratch up your ride, effect nearly the same.

I'd look in the garden or home improvement dept. and get plastic chains! Wouldn't scratch up your ride, effect nearly the same.
They actually are all plastic, the only real chains are up front hanging from the recovery hooks. Fixed them too as of now, took some fishing line and wrapped it through the bedside chains and tied it underneath. So they still wiggle a bit, but they ain't flying around or anything, which works nicely. Now the mirrors, seem to be holding as they are, but they still worry me with how much they flop around once at highway speeds, especially over a bridge. Not sure about those...
also, with the condition my paints in, I honestly don't care much, it's got small rust patches, 90% of the trucks clear coat is gone and paints fading. The only nicer paint was the doors and front fenders, which ain't great either due to dents and scratches, so, she looks like a standard every day work truck. One day I'll clean her up though, one day, but for now, let the paint suffer, took her down some really tight trails last weekend too just because I didn't care 😂

Well, one semi modification made. Just a lid flip, commonly done on these. Since I can't make it a cold air intake via the fender like oem, due to the air horns. I'll just nab and run an open element when I can afford it, for now, this works close to it, and should help with cool wind as I'm driving reaching it rather than trying to choke hot air through the leftover snorkel

Also went ahead with an oil change with a new filter, so that's one less thing as well. Need to do the egr valve next and she may be all good

20220823_164411.jpg 20220823_164355.jpg 20220823_164352.jpg

Decided to have some fun last night, sunset wasn't too visible due to the cloud cover, but I still got some decent pictures.

IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0970.JPG

And looky here what just arrived! Gawlee we got us some lights boys! The green roof lights'll be back soon enough!

20220825_153030.jpg

Well, progress. Wasn't great sanding job, nothing I found was working to get some of the old powder coat off. But I ain't fully expecting it to last, just a redneck attempt to get it on. Primed and maybe tomorrow I'll have it coated in bedliner. So at least I'm not real worried about rust getting too much worse. Got some new bolts too, sadly zinc rather than stainless, have to swap them out eventually. And a neighbor no longer wants his offroad lights on his Tacoma now that he's fully replaced all the headlights and such; so I'll have some more offroad lights too.

20220912_134509.jpg 20220912_134504.jpg

The last coat is mostly done, once this side dries I'll flip it back over and be sure to finish it. But shes just about ready to go on! Hopefully by early morning it'll be on

20220913_144609.jpg 20220913_163620.jpg 20220913_163614.jpg

Guard is on, mostly. Had the wrong bolt sizes. Luckily the headlight guards from the X fit on the top mounts, so its held temporarily by those two and zip ties in the bottom two, till I can go to lowes and swap bolts. Needed some stainless steel ones anyway.

20220914_111706.jpg 20220914_111642(0).jpg 20220914_111711.jpg 20220914_111652.jpg 20220914_111646.jpg

Back working on doing the four corner mod. Was testing what it'll take to make them fit, had to cut a chunk of lens out as an extra layer to make it fit with the led, otherwise the regular cut out fit on it with a halogen. So I'll have to find a way to mount it further back, maybe some bondo. Mess with these as test subjects here, then take mine off and try it out legit.

20220919_151458.jpg 20220919_151450.jpg 20220919_151431.jpg

Now, I've semi got it rigged, ain't great but it works. But I do agree with my brother, may be easier to nab a set of these aftermarket led ones already set wiring and all, and then swap the strips for different colors. But I've already put this much work into making this work, I'll figure it out. But I want some opinions, think it'll be easier to just make them and hardwire them like I am already, or just nab these and solder new led strips onto it. Video ain't great, but this is the one finished one, shown with and without the light socket. Nice and snug. Not exactly waterproof right now, the final product of my black ones will be.

Also, complete sidenote. But still on the blinker subject. I've got some spare blinker/running lights housings from my brother, thinking about using them to make my own custom led ones, but I cant decide on a setup, drew up a couple but not really happy with anything. Whatever the look, I want them to flow/be sequential. I'll leave a blank one up if anyone feels like being creative and trying to design something, feel free. They'll probably be rgb too, so I can match them to the corner green too whenever, but for legal sake, keep at least those amber right now is why they are drawn so. Feel free to use amber or green.

Screenshot_20220925-184037_Samsung Internet.jpg 20220926_124621.jpg PicsArt_09-26-06.12.45.jpg PicsArt_09-26-06.10.56.jpg PicsArt_09-26-05.44.50.jpg PicsArt_09-26-06.04.01.jpg

Now, I've semi got it rigged, ain't great but it works. But I do agree with my brother, may be easier to nab a set of these aftermarket led ones already set wiring and all, and then swap the strips for different colors. But I've already put this much work into making this work, I'll figure it out. But I want some opinions, think it'll be easier to just make them and hardwire them like I am already, or just nab these and solder new led strips onto it. Video ain't great, but this is the one finished one, shown with and without the light socket. Nice and snug. Not exactly waterproof right now, the final product of my black ones will be.

Also, complete sidenote. But still on the blinker subject. I've got some spare blinker/running lights housings from my brother, thinking about using them to make my own custom led ones, but I cant decide on a setup, drew up a couple but not really happy with anything. Whatever the look, I want them to flow/be sequential. I'll leave a blank one up if anyone feels like being creative and trying to design something, feel free. They'll probably be rgb too, so I can match them to the corner green too whenever, but for legal sake, keep at least those amber right now is why they are drawn so. Feel free to use amber or green.

View attachment 434898 View attachment 434899 View attachment 434900 View attachment 434901 View attachment 434902 View attachment 434903

Edit: for the blinkers, I'll still modify them a lil' but I ordered these and I'm going to see what I can do about these, cause I hate the white running lights. It'll just be easier since I have better bases to work with. Especially with how complicated doing the four corner mod can be.

Screenshot_20220926-212916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Feel like I'm adding too much today, but I've also got some new lights to hook up. My neighbor replaced all his headlights and foglights recently, so he says he doesnt want these anymore, likes his clean oem looking front end with blacked out lights. So now I've got 'em, could use some lens cleaning, but I'll have to see where I can throw 'em! Even came with brackets he made for 'em, though I'm not sure if I'll make use of those. Two larger ones and two small pods, I'll have to nab better pictures tomorrow in the sunlight, but really not bas especially since they were flat out given to me.

Maybe hook the two larger ones onto the grille guard and the two smaller ones on the top corners of the rear bumper, beside the tailgate and below the tail lights, to work as more aux reverse lights, but to light more of the sides up.

20220927_004315.jpg

Examples of placement ideas after I clean 'em up a bit. The lil' one at the rear bumper edges, and the bigger ones on the guard. Need to test 'em still too

Also gave the girl and I some much needed mud therapy, move the camera pictures over tonight and post 'em

20220927_155646.jpg 20220927_155552.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some new decor, in the overhead console

20220927_134333.jpg

Back