• Register Today It's free!

Dipstick level after oil change

chuckd83

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mercury Mountaineer
I just replaced the timing guides, etc. on my friend's Mountaineer. Everything went well. Fired up with no rattle.

I took it for a spin and parked it for a couple of hours. Came back and checked the oil level. It was half way between the upper and lower mark. On other cars I have it usually reads on the upper mark after an oil change. Is this normal for this vehicle? I used the recommended 5 quarts with a new Motorcraft FL820S filter. Maybe it's because I dropped the oil pan?

I don't want to give it back to him if it has an oil leak somewhere. I don't see any on the floor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it’s between the hash marks, I’d leave it be.

Did you fill it with all five quarts of oil or put in oil until the fill line was met on the dipstick? If you did the latter then the oil filter would need to be filled which would cause a low reading after the engine ran. Other than this or the dipstick, or its tube, has been altered to not provide a proper reading. One last thing would be using a filter that has a larger capacity than the Ford OEM filter.

Did you fill it with all five quarts of oil or put in oil until the fill line was met on the dipstick? If you did the latter then the oil filter would need to be filled which would cause a low reading after the engine ran. Other than this or the dipstick, or its tube, has been altered to not provide a proper reading. One last thing would be using a filter that has a larger capacity than the Ford OEM filter.
I filled it with a 5 quart jug and a Ford OEM filter. I'm thinking it's because I dropped the oil pan which probably holds an extra 1/2 quart.

I filled it with a 5 quart jug and a Ford OEM filter. I'm thinking it's because I dropped the oil pan which probably holds an extra 1/2 quart.
This makes sense.

I just replaced the timing guides, etc. on my friend's Mountaineer. Everything went well. Fired up with no rattle.

I took it for a spin and parked it for a couple of hours. Came back and checked the oil level. It was half way between the upper and lower mark. On other cars I have it usually reads on the upper mark after an oil change. Is this normal for this vehicle? I used the recommended 5 quarts with a new Motorcraft FL820S filter. Maybe it's because I dropped the oil pan?

I don't want to give it back to him if it has an oil leak somewhere. I don't see any on the floor.
I remember when I had a 2010 4.0 it took close to 5.5 qts to read at the full mark on the dipstick

Back