• Register Today It's free!

Direction i should fire Subs?

mutti_wilson

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' 4dr XLT
Im gonna build a new box for my 2 orion 12"s. Right now theyre firing towards the rear. Would firing to the ceiling be a better choice? Or to the sides? It sounds alright but i threw my box together and wanna build a good quality one now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have used both up and twards the back. If its within 18 inches of the back door your good. If you face them up then they need to be tward the rear. I like the facing up tward the rear. thats just my opinion though

fire them toward the rear unless you want them some other way for cosmetic or space reasons

thanks. Im gonna do 1.5 Cube FT. per sub, sealed. i like the punch.

what are the specs of the subs?

i like directing my subs about and inch away, facing the back seat, so it can push some air off of something solid.

i agree with them i had my sub facing the back of my seat and the bass seems to...i dunno stick around? more inside of my car like because it has bounced off the back of the car its tricked into thinking it has gone 30 feet from my car lol

thats where the bass was b4 i moved it to facing the tail gate of my car lol..was nice when coming up behind someone though =) tee hehe

i have mine pushed up against the back seat facing the rear door, sounds pretty sweet from the inside and out side. i have a JL W7 10"

Kelli

1.5 sealed is alot of space for a 12. I see it's their max recomendation but have u heard a 12" in a 1.5 sealed box? Facing the subs up in an suv will give u slightly deeper low bass. if u fire them to the sides opposite each other they will cancel them selves out. For an suv rear or down fire works good. If you port the box facing up will work nice also. I have my two 10's in a down fire box.

The low frequencies from subs don't have to be directionated because your hear doesn't detect them from one direction, it captures the low frequencies from the sub in many directions.

The only reasons that you need to place in one direction the subs are how they looks and how they fit better inside your car.

Originally posted by PROTEUS
The low frequencies from subs don't have to be directionated because your hear doesn't detect them from one direction, it captures the low frequencies from the sub in many directions.

The only reasons that you need to place in one direction the subs are how they looks and how they fit better inside your car.

It has been my experiance that the more distance between the subs sound wave and a solid object the deeper the bass. Gives it a boomy effect.

well if u dont have your car sound deadened at all like mine then u wont be hearing a whole lot of bass lol...although firing it at the back trunk thingy stuffed with polyfill(temporary im broke =)) has made a huge improvement

alright- there is rampant disinformation on this one

yes it is hard for the human ear to detect the direction from which low frequency sounds are coming. it isnt' impossible however, and many of the higher frequencies most people subwoofers handle in a car are very directional.

a low frequency sound is a very long sine wave... if you put a sub woofer in an enclosure facing you and stand 5 feet away it isn't going to sound nearly as loud as it would from further away due to the length of the waves which are low frequency "sounds"

it is also important that the surface you are firing the sub into doesn't absorb the wave. My old system fired toward my hatch and i deadened it and filled it with mdf so that i would get proper reflection of the wave. now that i'm firing them up i'm planning on redoing my headliner and buttressing it with mdf as well.

the situation in which you fire a subwoofer a few feet into a wall then you catch the wave 8-10 feet from there is the ideal profided the wall is reflective enough oof the wave.

where is the mdf at exactly and how did you put it there? my back door has five layers of dynamat on it but i could always use more stability.

just get 600 to 800 dollars and buy a Kicker SoloX and dont worry about which way to face it :)

solo x--- lol

before you dynamatted you probably noticed the huge holes in the door right? i cut thin mdf to size (just a little bit bigger than the holes) then i sound deadened and then put the mdf over the top of that. i put rubberized undercoating on the back of the door panel, and then screwed the door panel into the mdf so that it can't rattle at all.

i never thought of that before. i'll try that later this week. does it improve spl or just stop the rattles?

i upgraded the system while i did it so i don't have a direct comparison.

however, i have since installed the same subs, head unit, epic150, box, batcap and amp in a different explorer and it doesn't sound as loud in there to the ear. If mikeknott is around he could tell you what max he can get his epic150 to read and i can compare to the 144 max i got in my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i always heard that the bass hits better if the speakers are pointed towards the rear of the vehicle

and that is the way i have it set upt

my bandpass box with 2' 12 inch MTX subs is pressed up solid against the backseat,

sounds good,

the amp isn't that big but it sounds good right now

just wish some stuff wouldn't rattle so much

Back