• Register Today It's free!

Disable 4x4 - 2005 Model

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in -- Would like to know the easiest way to disable 4x4 completely for an 05 model. I know the 02 and 03 models have the control module that can be disconnected but in 04 that was changed. I've heard of the brown wire mod --- but can I just clip the wires going to transfer case? THX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas? I've also heard cutting only the brown wire to the t-case will work but others say no?! Any definite answer. THX

I just went for the brown wire going to into the rear of the T-case. The wire just energizes the solenoid to engage the clutch pack for four wheel drive. I added a switch inline with the brown wire so I can close the four wheel drive circuit when I need to get the front wheels spinnin.
Hope that helps.

Best way to disable it would be to pull the front drive shaft then any time the computer engages the front it'll still engage the transfer case gears. With the brown wire mod it doesn't allow the front to engage which can lead to burning up the clutches in the transfer case.

Why not just remove the fuses??

Back