Disable Driver Side mirror dimming? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable Driver Side mirror dimming?

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 King Ranch 4wd 3.0T
<2016 Explorer LTD>
Disable Driver Side mirror dimming - is there a way to do this? I don't like this feature and with tinted windows makes it rather dark. Ironically the interior dimming mirror seems to not be in this vehicle (which is fine) but this outside one I don't care for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

<2016 Explorer LTD>
Disable Driver Side mirror dimming - is there a way to do this? I don't like this feature and with tinted windows makes it rather dark. Ironically the interior dimming mirror seems to not be in this vehicle (which is fine) but this outside one I don't care for.
To my knowledge there is no way to disable the auto dimming outside mirror. It dims automatically when the need arises. I've never noticed any issues with mine and I have the OEM factory tint. As far as the inside rearview mirror goes, I am quite sure that it is also an auto dimming mirror. I doubt they install anything else these days. If you are interested in knowing how they work, see my post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3471425&postcount=8

From the 2016 Manual;

Auto-dimming Feature (If Equipped)
The driver exterior mirror automatically
dims when the interior auto-dimming
mirror turns on.

Peter

Thanks - Down here we do aftermarket tint so that mirror appears much darker.

<2016 Explorer LTD>

I don't think you can turn one off without turning the whole system off from a settings point of view.

Probably could disconnect a wire to the mirror for this feature.

probably but don't want to lose the other features which I am sure are all tied together.

I'd suggest to just disconnect the wire from behind the mirror glass. Should be very simple to pop out the mirror & remove one wire. Make sure to insulate it so it doesn't touch anything. Also it should not affect any other function.

Good suggestion that I will keep in mind. Getting more used to it.

Just make sure you get the correct wire. I'm not sure if the 2016 self dimming mirror is much different from the one in the video that shows the connector.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKbGODmMg_4

Peter

Back