Disable Ignition System to crank engine after removing spark plugs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable Ignition System to crank engine after removing spark plugs?

svd85

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hello. I just pulled all the spark plugs out of my 2007 Ford Explorer V8 4.6l and read that I need to crank the engine to prevent hydrolock from the carb cleaner I used, although I don't think I used that much. Can I just disconnect the electrical connectors to the coil on plugs to disable the ignition system? I also have the electrical connectors to the fuel rail disconnected too. Should I be doing anything else? Couldn't find the answer from searching the forum. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the plugs removed, then you have the coils also removed - right ?
So the coils are disconnected. You can disconnect the injectors as well, and crank the engine.

If you have the plugs removed, then you have the coils also removed - right ?
So the coils are disconnected. You can disconnect the injectors as well, and crank the engine.

Yes. That’s what I figured but just making sure. Thanks for the help.

Or just blow a few seconds of compressed air down each hole

Whenever I change my oil, on the first start-up I hold the gas pedal to the floor. The computer sees this WOT condition and won't allow either fuel or spark, not 100% sure which, but the truck just turns over but never fires.

In my little pea brain I think I am rotating a 'dry' engine at a few hundred RPMs allowing the oil to build pressure, instead of allowing it to run 1100 RPM without oil. I always fill the filter with oil a few times before installing, so probably not solving any non-existent problems.

My point, pedal to metal and she'll spin but not fire. I do this on my 4.6, the wifes 5.4, and can only assume the 4.0 is the same.

Just crank it with the plugs out. I don’t see how ignition would have any effect on hydrolocking, however.

Maybe I misunderstood but if the plugs are out it won't hydrolock. For a deeper discussion, even if you filled the space with carb cleaner I don't think the rings would hold it in the cylinder. I don't think carb cleaner has the stiction (is that the right word?) that water has. It is going to flow past the rings much quicker.

Why are you spraying carb cleaner in there in the first place? It’ll likely be the driest start that poor motor ever sees.

As for getting by the rings, the last place I’d want a solvent is I’m my crank and oil.

I believe he used carb cleaner on the old plug threads and added more as they were turned out of the head. Thus he wanted to get rid of whatever little bit ran into cylinder before installing new plugs.
Cranking with plugs out, or blowing a little compressed air should do it

Back