Disable TPMS? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable TPMS?

In 40 years of driving, I‘ve had plenty of punctured/slow leak tires but never had a rapid loss of air to a tire happen while driving.

When I bought a set of new tires for my 2010 EB, I replaced all 4 sensors so that the TPMS system was working properly. Mostly because I wanted to get rid of the annoying error messages.

Check my tire pressures at least a couple times a month.

I was driving down a divided highway and got a low tire pressure message.

Initially I just blew it off, hit the reset button and kept going, because that is what I’ve done for years driving my Explorers.

I was conditioned to ignore that error message because of putting up with an inoperable system for so long.

I’m driving 60 miles an hour covering about a quarter-mile every 15 seconds.

I am estimating it took me about 10 seconds to realize something was wrong and another 10 seconds to find a place to pull over.

By the time I came to a stop that tire was completely flat. The wheel was unscathed thankfully, the tire looked like it was OK but the sidewall was damaged when the shop looked at it.

If that sensor had not gone off it would’ve taken me far longer to realize something was very wrong with the driver side rear tire. It was not obvious to me I had a completely flat tire before I got out of the truck and looked at it.

I am running 265/60–18 tires.

Fortunately the road was lightly traveled and I was able to change the tire without any issues.

Back