• Register Today It's free!

Disabled security system

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
Does anyone know if there is a way to just disable the entire security system on a 96 XLT 5.0? A PO has been playing with it, and added some switches that I haven’t quite figured out what they do(pic). I’m always bumping the switch and the alarm will go off when I open a door. So I would like to just disable the whole thing if it’s possible. Any ideas?

BB0A7E68-08EB-42F5-90C3-0E4886310342.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't touch the switches, is everything normal?

If that is the case, and to make things easy, I would just remove the mounting nuts, pull the switches out of their dash holes, zip tie them up under the dash where they can't be bumped or pushed. If still worried, mount the switches inside some sort of container, like a gumball prize capsule for example.

images

Just start removing wires, follow to where they go and if not factory, remove them. I am sure you will find out what the switches are for eventually, if something is bodged up by the previous owner, this would be the time to put it back to correct factory working order.

I seriously doubt those switches are for anything factory related. Most likely something aftermarket which I would remove completely unless you also have a remote starter.

I’m going to have to trace it out. I played with them the other day trying to figure out what they do, went to start it hours later and it did that crazy glitch thing where the locks cycle and the instrument cluster flashes on and off. It won’t start while it’s doing that. I have to do some combo of removing the key and pressing the button with the switch in the proper postition to get it to stop glitching so it will start. I’m going to have the dash apart to change the instrument lights soon, I’ll see if I can figure it out then.

You may have one of these installed:
2JSQUNHFFMoRCbpD5QdysbBueKx5w6L1i1VnWvNFTzWwxc5gGSl77TNHa9ELnkqi5GNl0Af1p4SuLFR4_eNrGG_i0nd6Atc3Ce5RSp_BPewNY2YvaeIKQbfhKy_OZ7U4_YyJd7H43EhnrmXBv9yJYvTsZJysag6_SJ3nfUE9b_HsufY5V8JYjjQnLgWIhBgGvjltNq_QdmiXwsJnxx4a7FIsJBNQRSljfhIJNa6u43XWDZnbEEiEmFXB2Af8ebhxiwvE0Z5i-Yr752AtR0_mDNPZMSbEavn-6dX7yxaEGFsrEtJykeWvPN1ZhTfQ3WJ13iEPO-ByBfOzD1tDE0asf3KazSSQv9LEQPlL6C9zcDbaJ_FNo83jwYQdAXoZJDjH1bZIztx0d8ydeyiTN0pZ8H3SkC5EMOkg3D_4Q-EGmea1rCVh9uGgaxFFciYdqUET2qhUFOeDvBuCN6qck8gBTEW7BbLRlkPfeu6MnulP6CZudeG_guk5phcb06IBGimo3e8thqcoiXYtRmtEIRH-h_byChza5UGzssVcN1HpTdzZ4_6cG79j7_IqO2MFm4rKurK5XNNku42-UZ0bbrzIhoi-r6OqVh-IYat67R6hK6TheFEsFgBrupPMpRdEA-6434RwaRuVTLAfEv0luk_-VaQMgJb1OVE=w1263-h947-no

it;s an aftermarket alarm with valet option. It was doing some crazy stuff like preventing the vehicle from starting, sounding the alarm for no reason, locking the doors unexpectedly, why it was installed is beyond me because my Expl. has factory theft system anyway. I had to dissemble under the steering column, left side kick panel, and driver door sill plate to get to all the wires and remove them, it was spiced into a host of factory wires. It had a button thingy and LED same place where your switches are.

That might be it! I have an led on the radio bezel where the 4wd switch would be, I’m not sure if it’s factory or not?

6F284363-4FD5-4B64-92A3-709E0E7B427E.jpeg

That LED in your bezel is NOT a factory item. I dont know what its for (not my car), but it seem like you may have an aftermarket theft/alarm system installed that is causing a host of problems like mine was.

Awesome! That means it should be fairly easy to fix! Thanks bro!

Your welcome! I hope it's that simple!

Changing out the multifunction switch today, found that security system. This looks like it’s going to take a little while.

F5126F0A-E1E9-425D-824E-2FFACD833A16.jpeg

Back