• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Disableing PATS Keys perminately

Kris Guilbeaux

Elite Demon Secretary
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
I am purchasing a 98 Explorer that was abandoned from a Wrecker company was in a small wreck. The Explorer has no keys and I want to remove the PATS System perminately. Does any one have an Idea how to do this. I am Not worryed about Theft or any thing I just have no need for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Hmmm... Because the PATS interfaces so heavily with the GEM and PCM, that's going to be a toughie. It may be possible to permanently bypass it using a black-box or tone ring from an aftermarket alarm system, but I don't know of any way to completely remove the system. It doesn't look like it would be very easy....

-Joe

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB
I can think of one way that you could do it, but you would need at least one programed key. First, make a few copies of the key (on a regular key, not a pats key). Then cut the pats key so that you are left with just the top of the key which holds the pats info. I am talking abou the top black plastic part of the key. If you somehow mount this part of the pats key inside your steering column close enough to the ignition, the key copies will work without needing the pats programming. I set a honda accord up like this one time so that it could work without the pats key in place for a remote starter system, and it worked fine.

zhanx

Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
rhyno - it has no keys. so he cant do that with getting one from the stealership.

kris see if you can google some remote starter diagrams that should get you an idea of what wires to bypass to ground. About 90% of the stuff coming off the gem goes to the ground side to complete the circut. (i know not a very clear way to put it)

Another place to look is the ford cd in the wireing.

If i had time i'd boot to windows and load the cd.

hope this helps

Zulu95

Reaction score
City, State
Show Me!
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD V8 AWD SOLD!
Fit the pre PATS system from an earlier model.

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB
rhyno - it has no keys. so he cant do that with getting one from the stealership.
I know he has no keys, I was just saying..... It may be a lot simpler to buy a pats key off ebay for 15 bux and have it programed than to try and disable the pats system properly. Depends on if Kris wants to spend more time or more money on the issue. ;)

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
I posted a copy of the PATS wiring schematic in my Yahoo briefcase. Go to Briefcase.yahoo.com/gijoecam, then click on 'My Documents' and then again on '98 Explorer PATS' and it should open the PDF image file.

It looks like you *may* be able to get around the ECU by bypassing the + and - wires to the PCM, but I'm wondering how it may affect the GEM. I don't think you could just bypass the transciever in the column, unless you used a tone ring from an aftermarket alarm. I know the Ford/Code-alarm kits use a tone generator, but they probably need to be connected to the alarm to generate said signal to the transciever in the column.

Good luck with this one!

-Joe

Kris Guilbeaux

Elite Demon Secretary
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
Thanks Guys looks like its gonna me more difficult then I thought it would be. so Sadly it looks like I will be taking a wrecked Truck on a Trailer to the stealership and get them to make and program keys :(

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Call around and get some prices... a locksmith that does on-site work may be able to come out, make a key that fits the door lock tumbler, and then program them into the PATS system. From the factory, one key should have fit both the door locks and the ignition, but it's easier to extract the door tumbler to measure the pins and cut the key.

It may be worth a phone call or two. By the time you add up the cost of the wrecker plus the time and labor at the stealership, it may be cheaper to let the locksmith come out to you.

-Joe

Kris Guilbeaux

Elite Demon Secretary
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
Well I called my parts guy at the Dealership. he said he might be able to help me with this and I dont have to worry about towing this Explorer. He Said he would cut me two Keys for the truck by the Vin #. Then Second I might get his Friend that programs the cars to do that for me free were the Explorer is at.

So I might get all this Done for $50.00 if so I will just do that. less head ache too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B disableing airbags for wheeling Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 6
M pats help Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 2
T Carb+5.0+PATS=? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 6
W PATS System Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 0
J could/should PATS be disabled Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 0
M 2001 Explorer Sport v6 to v8 swap PATS problem Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 15
J Pats Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 101
local7teener PATS components - Trying to troubleshoot a wicked misfire Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 1
R PATS problem after Push-Button Start... Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 0
R engine swap PATS question Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 2
W PATS Key questions? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 0
R Flashing Keys w/Forscan Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 2
W Suspension Questions - Spring Over Axel, Levelling Kit, SAS, Torsion Keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 4
C Ranger t-bars/keys on an Explorer Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 7
S Lowering Torsion keys . Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 2
P Ranger Torsion Keys on a 1997 Mountaineer? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 5
D torsion keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 7
R Torsion keys? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 8
R Torsion lift keys? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 26
L torsion keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 7
I Oe torsion keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 4
D ReadyLift Suspension T Bar Keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 2
B Torsion keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 1
P how to change torsion keys! Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 5
gavin New Torsion Bars, Lift Keys, or Longer Bolts? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 14
1 3in Torsion bar Lift kit Ford Explorer keys 1998-2001 Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 14
9 Torsion Keys Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 3
S Torsion keys and backspacing Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 12
L Reindexed Torsion Bar Keys? Modified 1995-2001 Explorers 8