Disabling interior lights in 2016 Explorer XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disabling interior lights in 2016 Explorer XLT?

JoeG89709

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2016 XLT
Hello, I would like to disable the interior dome lights in my 2016 XLT. I have tried removing Fuse 1 "Demand Lamps, Battery Saver" but all interior lights still come on. There is no other fuse in the manual that refers to anything related to interior illumination. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2lnbkvs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give the following Thread a look, even though it has 2017 in the title it explains the 2016 model year:
Help? Setting Dark Mode in 2017 to keep interior lights off when doors are opened?

Thanks, but not sure I understand the solution. There's an app call Forescan that opens a menu option called Dark Mode? Where do I get app? And where is the hidden fuse for the interior lights? I'd rather just wire a small switch inline with the fuse and turn on/off as needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

Hello, I would like to disable the interior dome lights in my 2016 XLT. I have tried removing Fuse 1 "Demand Lamps, Battery Saver" but all interior lights still come on. There is no other fuse in the manual that refers to anything related to interior illumination. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
It appears that the 2016+ really cut back on the number of fuses. In previous model years it listed a fuse for "Demand Lamps", turned on by their switch and also one for "Courtesy Lamps, the ones that come on when a door is opened. Not sure that you really want to disable the Battery Saver as that turns OFF most systems to keep the battery from being drained.

Peter

Thanks, but not sure I understand the solution. There's an app call Forescan that opens a menu option called Dark Mode? Where do I get app? And where is the hidden fuse for the interior lights? I'd rather just wire a small switch inline with the fuse and turn on/off as needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts.
You need to buy an OBD adapter (I recommend the OBDLink MX) and along with the free software forscan, where you make changes of the hex values to enable "dark mode".

Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
It appears that the 2016+ really cut back on the number of fuses. In previous model years it listed a fuse for "Demand Lamps", turned on by their switch and also one for "Courtesy Lamps, the ones that come on when a door is opened. Not sure that you really want to disable the Battery Saver as that turns OFF most systems to keep the battery from being drained.

Peter

Thanks Peter, actually that #1 fuse doesn't seem to do anything at all. I removed it and all the lights, USB plugs, everything works fine, drove to/from work and no difference. So no idea what it does, but I can confirm it does not affect demand lighting whatsoever, maybe someone else with a 2016 XLT can verify?

You need to buy an OBD adapter (I recommend the OBDLink MX) and along with the free software forscan, where you make changes of the hex values to enable "dark mode".

Thanks, I can do that and buy the software, not a problem. However, after reading about it I found this video here that goes through the programming process on a 17 Fusion but it's unclear from video or comments if it will work on 2016 XLT, can anyone confirm before I purchase? Will jacking with the sw void my extended warranty? If this "Silent" mode works it would be perfect!

I suggest that you take a look at the Warranty Guide that was supplied with the vehicle. It covers modifications etc. Usually, if a part fails and the reason for that failure was attributed to a modification that was made, then the warranty will not cover the failed part. It doesn't mean that the entire ESP warranty is void. The issue could come down to a dealer's opinion on the exact cause of the problem.

Peter

2lnbkvs.jpg
Hello JoeG89709, I have a 2019 Explorer XLT with the same interesting issue. I have checked almost everywhere to find no data on wiring Specs, forums or the college of GOOGLE. Even YOU TUBE Academy failed to help resolve my issue. However, I did find (make) a solution. I don't suggest anyone to do this, I am just posting MY solution. On every overhead interior light, the socket contains three wires. Negative, Courtesy and Demand. The center wire which I cut, disables the lights to come on when the doors are opened or when the car is shut off to exit the vehicle. I then cut and tapped into each dome light (center wire) and ran them to the front overhead light console which I added a SPST switch to allow ME to choose WHEN I want the courtesy lights to operate. This did not interfere with the Demand lighting (When you press the light switch). It was a bit tricky but I am a DIYer, so I was up to the challenge. I have heard that there was a wire in the dashboard that if cut, could allow the same results but my signal tracer failed to find the EXACT wire to disable. And yes, I too tried to find the fuse governing the interior lights, that also I failed to find.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
BTW, the member you responded to was last seen here January 17, 2019.

Peter

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
BTW, the member you responded to was last seen here January 17, 2019.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I was posting in the event that other Explorers may need that information.

Back