• Register Today It's free!

Disabling Key in Ignition Tone

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
Is there anyway to disable the key in the ignition tone that plays whenever the door is open? Perhaps by pulling a fuse or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pull the upper and lower shrouds on your steering column you will see the single wire that goes right to where the key goes in.
This wire touches ground, the chime goes off, if it does not, no chime.
To disable it youcan cut the wire or pull the little metal plug out of the keyswitch and cover it with tape.
I disabled mine on the BII a long time ago because it wouldnt fit in the key switch right, then I locked my keys in the truck, twice. I fixed it so it works now

Thanks, that was driving me insane.

re: tone

Yeah, I have the same problem. The tone turns on when you open the driver door even WITHOUT the key in the ignition. Isn't this supposed to go off when the key is in the ignition to warn you?

I recently took our 1998 Explorer Sport to a mechanic, he couldn't figure it out. I don't know what to do.

read above.

My 96 had the same problem as you describe.
You see the wire goes into the keyswitch
when you put the key in it grounds the wire = chime

The problem is the key switch is metal, so if the wire moves just a bit it will chime (touching ground)

So remove your shrouds and look at the wire.
I used a zip tie around the keyswitch to hold my wire locked into the correct spot, works 100% now

Back