Disconnect CEL? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Freestylemoto

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Grove
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
i have to get my truck smogged soon and they wont do it without the CEL being off.. And my CEL is due to the camshaft position sensor being shot (code 214) i dont have the time to replace it right now and want to know if anyone knows how to disconnect the CEL until i get it smogged. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most places that use OBD in their smog check will hook up a scanner to the vehicle. You'll fail for the DTC and possibly for tampering with the vehicle. Your best bet would be to troubleshoot and repair the problem before taking it in and having it checked.

First thing they check for is that the CEL comes on at start up. So you'd fail before you even get started. Plus, you can't clear the code in the parking lot of the smog place either. Doing that resets a bunch of fields that the ODBII check looks for. So you'd fail anyways. I know from experience. :D

thanks for the quick response i havent found any good detailed information on taking out the cam position sensor i know its all the way in the back near the firebox, can you just take the plenum off, and reach the cps bolt from there or is there a special tool to get to that bolt, its way down there in an akward spot.... thanks for the help

I looked around a bit more last night and the vast majority of what I found was directed at OBD-II systems, which a 93 Explorer isn't. It's a EEC-IV system which was somewhat compliant with OBD-I, but 3 years before OBD-II was required.

What little information I did find said that for non OBD-II systems, they (C.A.R.B. - whatever that is) really don't have any way to check the emissions system like they would be able to on OBD-II, so you might only have to subject the vehicle to the sniffer test, but you may also have to get tested through the "State Referee's Office".

I'm glad I live in a podunk state, no safety inspections and smog checks are only required in one county. At any rate, the only definitive answer would be to find a phone number for the ARB and ask them about it or take it to a testing station and see how it goes.

The Camshaft Position Sensor doesn't require any special tools, but it has to be installed in a very specific manner after you remove the intake plenum, failure to follow the install method precisely will screw up the timing. Book time to R&R the sensor is 2.4 hours, BTW.

thanks iron, i was at pick and pull a week ago and got the sensor out.(the top piece held in by 2 screws) but not the syncronizer(held in by a hex bolt). It was at a wierd angle and my friends dad gave me this ball joint socket that was supposely supposed to get in there and it couldnt, its like there was not enough bend in the ball socket, i only could get it on there half way and im not sure what was in the way its hard to see.

It takes some manual acrobatics to get that bolt out, but the big PITA about replacing it is all the alignment mumbo jumbo between the engine and the sensor itself. Have to line the engine up at TDC in 3 different positions at different points in the process, then align the vanes on the sensor with different marks and all kinds of nonsense.

If you ever get around to replacing it, shoot me a PM and I'll get you a copy of the process from Alldata.

Back