Disconnecting Battery to Reset Computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disconnecting Battery to Reset Computer

superbeast

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I was just told by a mechanic that disconnecting the battery screws up a lot of codes and causes problems. Is this true? I thought you disconnected the battery to reset the computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, disconnecting the battery DOES reset the computer, it does erase problem codes that are stored, but I'm pretty sure that is dosen't screw up a lot of stuff or anything that I know of for that matter.

ExplorerSportNu said:
Welcome to the site, disconnecting the battery DOES reset the computer, it does erase problem codes that are stored, but I'm pretty sure that is dosen't screw up a lot of stuff or anything that I know of for that matter.

He told me that it causes new problem codes when you disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Well, your mechanic just gave you a reason to fire him/her.

aldive said:
Well, your mechanic just gave you a reason to fire him/her.

LOL no kidding, get a new mechanic cause this one sucks ;)

heh

When you remove the battery cable for a good lenth of time your basically reset the PCM to its ROM(read only memory). The same as unplugging your desktop computer.

Like before mentioned the facts you were given are a good determining factor on who not to use. Try someone about 20 years younger ;)

Later Doug.

actually, if you have emissions codes and you disco the battery, a new code will appear saying the battery was disconnected. this is so people with OBD-II dont just unplug their batt before they get their emissions tested so they can pass even if they have a problem.

Well, I didn't say that he was MY mechanic. He was the dealer's choice as a mechanic. My 4x4 high light is flashing and needs to be serviced. This guy didn't fix it correctly the first time, so I won't be going back there again. I'm hoping that it is just the module needing replaced. The dealer is paying to fix it. Thanks a lot guys.

I heard that you can only really reset the computer fully on pre 95 explorers and up until 96. They say that on the newer ones if your check engine light came on before its still going to stay on in the future until it is serviced. I know on my Explorer my Check engine light comes on and off all the time because my computer automaticlly resets it. My O2 sensor is shot.

Back