Disconnecting transmission cooler lines from radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disconnecting transmission cooler lines from radiator

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
Ford manual indicates there is a special "quick disconnect tool" required to disconnect the transmission cooler lines from the radiator in order to remove the radiator.

I purchased a set of 4 "quick disconnect" tools from the auto parts store last year. One of those was for use on my fuel rails' "quick disconnect" connections and worked perfectly.

Are these the same types of connections to where I should already have what I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wondering how you made out with this problem... we are currently trying to change the transmission cooling lines on our 04 Exp and having a hard time finding the right tool... we have already purchased 3 different types one of them being ordered online since it said it was a ford tool! we are trying to separate the metal line from the hose that connects it to the radiator... no luck... it is the actual line that has the leak not the hose... any advise?

I was not able to disconnect the lines using the tools I had so I just proceeded without taking them off. Sorry that isn't any help to you.

I was not able to disconnect the lines using the tools I had so I just proceeded without taking them off. Sorry that isn't any help to you.

How the hell did you just proceed without taking them off? There's no way to get the radiator out without disconnecting them.

Not true. I pulled it off with no problem. You just have to disconnect the transmission cooler and AC condenser from the radiator housing. They are all bolted and connected together to the housing but are independently connected. I only disconnected the radiator and was able to remove it.

Back