• Register Today It's free!

Distortion on front windshield

Shellime

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
I picked this forum because I felt it was closest. I have new 2016 Explorer, the bottom 4-5" of the front windshield is distorted, almost like bifocals. Objects enlarge. I hate to replace the windshield for fear of leaks. Anyone else experience this? I can see over it but it is somewhat annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have this problem on my 2016 Limited. I noticed it last week.

Take it to the dealer and have them replace it. It shouldn't leak, and if it does. They'll have to fix it again

Windshields are replaced all the time. It won't leak, have it replaced.

Shellime, Ronxlt,

Are you sure your 2016's don't have the AARP package included?

Windshields are replaced all the time. It won't leak, have it replaced.

This.

And have the side trim pieces redone at the same time. Those don't re-cycle during the windshield replacement process very well.

Shellime, Ronxlt,

Are you sure your 2016's don't have the AARP package included?

Lol, I'm sure. I'm not even close to AARP benefits yet. If I look at the bottom of my windshield and try to read the tag of the car in front of me, the tag is distorted. It's out of my regular field of vision and I only noticed it when trying to figure out a vanity tag.

Edit: I never noticed this on my 2012 XLT.

i'll have to look at mine, but i do have some near the camera set up on my Limited right under it.

I also have this problem on my 2016 Limited. I noticed it last week.

Me too. If you drive slowly on a road with dashed lines, you can see the lines bend a little as they reach the bottom of the windshield. I only really notice it if I focus on it, but not peripherally.

Me too. If you drive slowly on a road with dashed lines, you can see the lines bend a little as they reach the bottom of the windshield. I only really notice it if I focus on it, but not peripherally.

Right, I have to really focus on it to notice. It's under my line of sight so it doesn't really bother me. I think it might be caused by the angle of the windshield and how the light bends as it hits the front and then the back of the glass. Someone who knows more about light refraction should be able to give an answer on this.

I have the same problem with my windshield distorting my view of whats in front of me. The area of distortion is higher on mine and as i drive down the road the lines on tarmac are skewed and it is sometimes difficult seeing the actual size of potholes here in Michigan on dirt roads. So yeah it is a bother to me, i feel the windshield should be very optically correct and clear as it is your only way to know what your looking at. I don't understand why ford is failing with these windshields and putting subpar windshields on a nice cuv. I know these windshields are made of composite layers of glass and perhaps this is what causes the visual imperfections. When I have enough money i will replace the rubbish windshield. However it is very hard to understand why ford couldn't make a windshield with normal visuals in 2015! Glass wasn't invented yesterday! My 1999 ranger has a cracked windshield and the visuals thru that windshield are still superior to the explorers. That ain't right in my book!

Did you recently purchase the Explorer or have you been driving with this 'imperfection' for 4 years? I have found light imperfections in windshields as well and not with just Ford vehicles. Only had one replaced under warranty because of it and it wasn't a Ford product.

Peter

Well I bought the ride in 2017 as a Certified Pre-owned Vehicle at a ford dealership and yes it has had the same issue since day1

I had my windshield busted from a foul ball and it was replaced for free with my full coverage insurance. Not giving you any ideas or anything hehe

Adrian, did you have the distortion in your old windshield? And the new one , was it distortion free?

My original was fine and so is the new one.

windshield.png

Back