• Register Today It's free!

divorced transfer case

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
Anyone using a divorced transfer case? If so how is it working out and what transfer case are you running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it, but I would love to see it!

I'm thinking about trying it due to ford parts being obsolete, and wanting to try something different.

dunno what you call obsolete but divorced transfer cases are about as obsolete as it gets, to my knowledge there hasnt been ANY production ford that had one since the mid 70s.
That been said with the abundance of new process and borg warner transfer cases that can be had, most of which will bolt to the back of factory ford transmissions using the correct adapters.

Divorced t-cases can be done fairly easily - just use a 2wd transmission. However, with the transmission having a fairly long tailshaft housing in its stock form, a divorced t-case would shorten the Explorer's rear driveshaft significantly which would mean changing the rear axle's pinion angle to some degree which might not be so good for lubrication (pinion bearings), and reduce the rear axle's vertical travel due to U-joint angle limitations.

2wd trans:
A4LD_trans.jpg

fordtrucknut77 the obsolete parts I'm talking about is the shifter assembly, any bushings for it, the shift knob. I can still get a output shaft and extension housing, but the parts i need for a manual 1354 is no longer available. I've tried all the junkyards in Florida none of them have a transferable with attaching hardware. So I figured a divorced transfer case from a Nissan. I've seen them before they're small, and have flat flanges from trans to transfer case, from transfer case to drive shaft, from transfer case to front drive shaft. But i still have a lot of research to do cause I'm still not giving up on a stock setup. Just hard to deal with junkyards and lkq. Lkq can't look anything up by part has to be by vehicle. So I tell them i need a transfer case for a whatever year ranger with manual transfer case they send me a quote for a manual trans with electric shift transfer case. idiots!

IZwack I had thought about that. The length of the transmission would make it difficult but if I can figure out the measurements of the Nissan case maybe I can squeeze it in there.

I like the idea but it seems very unpractical and unreliable. Way to go iZ (your official Apple name).

The more joints you have means the more trouble you can have.

Burns I don't really appreciate you deleting my post about the atlas transfer case.

Burns I don't really appreciate you deleting my post about the atlas transfer case.
Tone aside, your post did not really add to the conversation in any way - we are all aware of the Atlas.

Burns that may all be true but me a few guys at work think it'll be the easiest way for me. Ive read where Toyota guys use them with built Chevy motors and have no problems, plus we're trying to figure out a way to make a flange so I don't have to use a mini 3-5 in shaft. Plus with the Nissan transfer case I've been trying to research I found it has no tail shaft so it shouldn't make the over all length too long to where my rear drive shaft would be too short and have a funny angle. Just and option I'm trying to come up with rather then a atlas tcase, cause ford keeps discontinuing the parts I'd need. Like i sated above I can't trust junk yards either. But thanks for your opinion I understand what your saying with the extra joint more possible problems. I'm trying to see if it would be cheaper. Plus this thread is more of a feeler so thanks again for your opinions.

it was a joke between me and the original poster. I think the atlas would be easier than the nissan .

it was a joke between me and the original poster. I think the atlas would be easier than the nissan .

Jokes between people do not show up when it is in type. Tone and Volume is not reflected and it looks like a petty argument beginning. My apologizes to you both.

...But thanks for your opinion I understand what your saying with the extra joint more possible problems. I'm trying to see if it would be cheaper. Plus this thread is more of a feeler so thanks again for your opinions.

I hope it works but don't forget the maintenance cost that you will incur when wheeling. The angle may work out but what is the long run cost? Just the way my brain thinks. I really hope it works out because it would open doors up for us all.

Can't you fix the angle by "turning" the axle up?
If you go divorced, might as well center the transfer case as well, so you can swap driveshafts between the front and back.

I hope it works but don't forget the maintenance cost that you will incur when wheeling. The angle may work out but what is the long run cost? Just the way my brain thinks. I really hope it works out because it would open doors up for us all.

I'm hoping it would too, I'm still doing research. a guy here at work has a neighbor that had this set up in his regular cab short bed ranger. wish he still had it so i could see how big the transfer case was and measure to see if it would work for me. the only long term cost would be a u joint or I hope to be the least other then fluids.i would like to run a flange like this if possible between my trans and the Nissan transfer case. plus if i plan on keeping u joints with me as well as other parts that may be needed.

flange.jpg

Can't you fix the angle by "turning" the axle up?
If you go divorced, might as well center the transfer case as well, so you can swap driveshafts between the front and back.

yes the drive shaft swapping was an option i seen on some forums. but most turn the transfer case down.

Well so much for looking into a divorced transfer case. A friend of mine took me to his friends house to look at some ranger parts and he gave me a transfer case and front drive shaft. So I'm sorry bug I wont be experimenting with my explorer. Maybe down the rode but not now.

Back