• Register Today It's free!

Dixon kit opinions

DriveshaftJoe

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 limited v8 explorer
My 99 5.0L needs a suspension upgrade, so I'm looking for some real world opinions on the 4x4 LT kits from Dixon Bros Racing.

I live on the west coast of Canada, so desert running isn't really in my regular diet of off roading. My truck is my DD, and doubles as my weekend warrior runabout and trail truck. Currently running a TT and 2.5 lift springs in the rear, which allow me to barely swing 32" tires, but I want 33x12.5's.

I've read about the 3 main options. Coilover conversion and body lifts - not a fan of the body lift. Superlift 4" kit, but I want more wheel travel than stock. Not interested in a SAS, even though I'm more than capable of fabbing all the required parts.

The Dixon kit seems to full fill my needs, however I'm curious about axle strength, sourcing replacement ball joints etc. Anyone with any experience or opinions?

My 99 5.0L needs a suspension upgrade, so I'm looking for some real world opinions on the 4x4 LT kits from Dixon Bros Racing.

I live on the west coast of Canada, so desert running isn't really in my regular diet of off roading. My truck is my DD, and doubles as my weekend warrior runabout and trail truck. Currently running a TT and 2.5 lift springs in the rear, which allow me to barely swing 32" tires, but I want 33x12.5's.

I've read about the 3 main options. Coilover conversion and body lifts - not a fan of the body lift. Superlift 4" kit, but I want more wheel travel than stock. Not interested in a SAS, even though I'm more than capable of fabbing all the required parts.

The Dixon kit seems to full fill my needs, however I'm curious about axle strength, sourcing replacement ball joints etc. Anyone with any experience or opinions?

"Custom Length Heat Treated 4340 Axle Shaft with serviceable 930 inner CV joints" Sounds like you will break the Dana35 center section first.

Keep in mind that the Dixon kit is 9inches wider than stock, and look strange without a wider rear axle (F150 8.8 or custom). Then you need appropriate fenders or custom adapted fender flares.

It is all doable. Another option is also the older style TTB front suspension.

Dixon Kit on a daily driver is sure a bunch of overkill ,unless that is what you are going for,,
i have the Superlift kit and find the limits of it can be both easy and hard to reach,
as a daily driver you will probably never reach the limits, even with some fair off roading use,, i pound mine pretty hard, and it works good for me,

If your set on dixon suspension then in the rear throw a true 8.8 (bronco axle) that way you already got SOA

Back