DIY Beadlock Install.

mechanix

Got beer?!?!?!
Reaction score
City, State
Springport, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt & 93 xlt
I found this thread on Pirate about a DIY beadlock install kit and then I saw it this site aswell. So I looked into the kit and it seemed pretty easy to do. It was cheap enough at $229 shipped to my door.

On with the write up:

Step one:

Grind the paint and stuff from out inner lip of the rim. The picture I took turned out terriable but I am sure you get the idea.

This is a pic of the rim I am going to use.

DSCF00021.jpg

This is a pic of the inside ring I welded to the rim.

DSCF00031.jpg

This is a pic of the outside ring.

DSCF00011.jpg

In this next picture you can see how the ring sets inside the rim.

DSCF00041.jpg

Step two:

To center the inside ring I used four lock washers positioned between the inside ring and the lip of the rim.

DSCF00051.jpg

Step three:

I used a C clamp to hold the inside ring tight to the rim while I made four tack welds to hold the ring in position while I welded the ring.

DSCF0011.jpg

Step four:

Weld the ring to the rim. On the final rim I only stopped 5 times. After I welded each ring I would use the air grinder to grind any burrs or weld puddles smooth. I think this is a very important step, also the bigger the bead you make will hinder you getting tire on.

DSCF0013.jpg

Step five:

Install tire, I used some gel lube from a can to help get the tire on. I am sure soap would work i.e. Dawn dishsoap.

DSCF0015.jpg

As you can tell from the last pic I don't have all the bolts in but you get the idea. In each rim I will need 24 3/8" bolts. I am going to try and use 2 1/4" long bolts and nylok nuts. I though about welding the nuts to the back of the ring, but my better judgement kicked in and I decided not to. Also I will need to get some 45* valve stems. The way the ring mounts makes it too close for the orgional valve stems to work.

The cost:

Rims where used $150 shipped
Beadlock kit $229 shipped
Bolts/nuts $40 local TSC
Valve stems $25 local parts store

A little time and effort I got a good set of bead locks for under 450 bones.

Here is the thread on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469085

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool! That is definately a good way to get beadlocks if you are on a budget and have a welder :thumbsup:

My friend just did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago on his 17's. He made up a jig so he could spin the wheel as he was welding:

100_3634.jpg

It is a unit bearing off a Jeep.

be sure to check out Great Lake Offroad's DIY beadlock kits, I got mine shipped with hardware for 240.

sweet:thumbsup:

How do you center the tire on the outside of the wheel? It seems like that's something you would want dead-on center. I've never played with beadlocks before. :D

How do you center the tire on the outside of the wheel? It seems like that's something you would want dead-on center. I've never played with beadlocks before. :D

Well I havent gotten that far yet to be honest. I still need to buy some bolts. I hope today I will be able to get them.

Basically they center up on the bolts. During the long, long, super long torqing process, you keep the rim on a bucket. This allows the tire to line itself up straight with the bolts as you tighten everything down. :)

Thanks for the write up! Some day I'll get these.

be sure to check out Great Lake Offroad's DIY beadlock kits, I got mine shipped with hardware for 240.
Hey redranger4.0, did you get "Never Ending Project" cut into your outer rings? If you havent installed them yet, can you please measure what the outside-diameter is of the inner ring? I am running a "reverse" wheel and I want to make sure these things fit in those wheels.

Hey redranger4.0, did you get "Never Ending Project" cut into your outer rings? If you havent installed them yet, can you please measure what the outside-diameter is of the inner ring? I am running a "reverse" wheel and I want to make sure these things fit in those wheels.

I thought about it but ended up just getting the basic locks, ill measure them tomorrow for you

Did mine a couple weeks ago. I also took the sharp edge off the outer. I've heard of allot of people with cut tires.

They almost center with no effort. The bolt holes are real close to the edge of the tire.

beadlocks008.jpg

Make sure you get ALL THREAD bolts, 2 1/4 is right to start. But with 35 lbs of torque I bottomed out on 1/2 thread bolts. I went to Fastenal and they only had 1/2 thread. So went to tractor supply and used 1 1/2 bolts. Used the 4 of the 2 1/4 to start then added the 1 1/2 to go to final torque. I have about 3 threads past the nylon nut on the boggers and 5 on the TSL.

IZ, I measured them to be about a 1/16" of an inch under 16"

Thanks redranger4.0!

Don't leave us hanging. Will these work on your rear-steer forklift wheels??
Just for you big boy -- I went out and measured it and yes, they will fit in my non-rear-steer non-forklift wheels :p:

where did u pick up this kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They almost center with no effort. The bolt holes are real close to the edge of the tire.

I bought my TSL's from a friend and he had them mounted on Champion beadlocks, and you can see dents in the very edge of the beads of the tires where they were touching the bolts. Doesnt affect the actual bead area, but the bolts are close enough to help center like Zapper said.

Back