DIY: Front License Plate Bracket Removal! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY: Front License Plate Bracket Removal!

Hi all, I know there was a thread here somewhere with pictures about removing the front bracket. Someone lead me there. I tryed the search.:)
Thank you.

Try Sticky under Modified.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, your easy instruction and pictures make this a very easy task. By the way, your Explorer looks great!

I was going to do this with my Sport, but now the front bumper is white where the holes are drilled on the 2016....the black retaining screws will look....I am not sure. Any ideas?

I was going to do this with my Sport, but now the front bumper is white where the holes are drilled on the 2016....the black retaining screws will look....I am not sure. Any ideas?
Use the touch up paint designed for your model.

Peter

Hi all, I know there was a thread here somewhere with pictures about removing the front bracket. Someone lead me there. I tryed the search.:)
Thank you.
There are different 'Search' functions. Using "license plate' as the trigger I found this thread and merged yours with it.;)
PM on the way.

Peter

Worked like a charm

Easily drilled out the plastic rivets last evening, took like 5 minutes. My used 2013 has been driving around with this behemoth Black bracket for two years, so it had scratches around both upper curves of the plastic bracket. I hope to buff it out this weekend. It's not very deep in the paint. Hell, even with the mild arc scratches, it looks better!

I stopped by AutoZone and a fine employee brought out 4 sample grommets outside to my Explorer to find the best fit and match. $3 later, I was on the road in style. This makes a great visual improvement! Highly Recommended.

Easily drilled out the plastic rivets last evening, took like 5 minutes. My used 2013 has been driving around with this behemoth Black bracket for two years, so it had scratches around both upper curves of the plastic bracket. I hope to buff it out this weekend. It's not very deep in the paint. Hell, even with the mild arc scratches, it looks better!

I stopped by AutoZone and a fine employee brought out 4 sample grommets outside to my Explorer to find the best fit and match. $3 later, I was on the road in style. This makes a great visual improvement! Highly Recommended.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Did mine already.
20151117_160306-M.jpg

Much better

There you go. No charge/

Peter

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 420

Did mine already.
20151117_160306-M.jpg

Do you have any more shots that can show the color match of the plugs and what did you use to fill the holes to match your magnetic paint. Bumperplugs.com doesn't seem to list that color, they do indicate they can paint match to the code, did you happen to have this done?

Just got an 16' magnetic today, in a state that does NOT require a front plate, I cannot understand why a dealer would intentionally do this and moreso, why the OEM could just design a front license plate bracket mounting point that doesn't require screwing it to a bumper.

The plugs are a charcoal gray (almost black) no paint used and really close overall. with the sensors around, you really don't notice them all that much.

The plugs are a charcoal gray (almost black) no paint used and really close overall. with the sensors around, you really don't notice them all that much.

I know it's probably a bit annoying of a question, but do you know what plugs you used? Still have the box by any chance, if not what store you picked them up at? The magnetic paint code in J7 and bumperplugs has them, but it'd be north of $50 which seems insane.

I used these from Autozone
20151118_170112-M.jpg

Looks good guys! Just took order for a 16 Sport. Ima be pissed if it comes with a bracket. Told the dealership twice now.

Glad to see this thread is so popular!

Took my front license plate bracket off today since we don't need front tags here in Tennessee. It looks SO much better! Thanks for the great tips from this thread! I'm kinda on the fence whether to get the bumper plugs or not... the holes don't really jump out at me too much. What do you guys think? Bumper plugs or not?

Oops.. I guess I can't post the pics I took. Do I need some sort of special powers or status?

Took my front license plate bracket off today since we don't need front tags here in Tennessee. It looks SO much better! Thanks for the great tips from this thread! I'm kinda on the fence whether to get the bumper plugs or not... the holes don't really jump out at me too much. What do you guys think? Bumper plugs or not?

Oops.. I guess I can't post the pics I took. Do I need some sort of special powers or status?
A $20 Elite membership will let you post directly from your computer etc using the 'Manage Attachment' program plus it helps to support this Forum. You can also go to the New Members Introduction thread and there is a thread in the 'Sticky' section that tells how you can post photos.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna have to do this on my 16 Sport as well.. Ordered it from factory and dealer is telling me it comes from the factory like that. Don't believe him. Oh well

I need to find some White color matching plugs.

jv5f9t.jpg

Back