DIY Painting Bumper? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY Painting Bumper?

My mountys rear bumper has developed the typical rust spots on it, meaning its not salvageable. Body shop quoted me $500 for replacement about a year ago when i first noticed it bubbling. Now its flaking off and its time to do something about it. I'm thinking of buying a new bare steel bumper and painting myself. My question is are the spray cans of paint you can order online by the color code any good? I dont have a compressor or spray equipment. Also if the door tag lists LL and LD as the paint codes, LD med wedgewood blue metallic would be the lower trim correct?

Before you go and buy a new bumper I would try and sand down the rear bumper to bare steel and then get your grinder out and try and grind the rust away, then prime the bumper and then paint it. I know that CarQuest makes custom full size cans of spray by color code, if the bumper comes out looking ****ty then you should get a new steel bumper but w/ my running boards I had to re-do them after every winter until I got rid of them but it was cheaper than buying new ones...:navajo:

- Jake

Before you go and buy a new bumper I would try and sand down the rear bumper to bare steel and then get your grinder out and try and grind the rust away, then prime the bumper and then paint it. I know that CarQuest makes custom full size cans of spray by color code, if the bumper comes out looking ****ty then you should get a new steel bumper but w/ my running boards I had to re-do them after every winter until I got rid of them but it was cheaper than buying new ones...:navajo:

- Jake

The problem with these bumpers, like most is that they rot from the backside. So, when the paint starts bubbling the integrity of the bumper has already been compromised.

My bumper got rust spots on the corners, just wire brushed it off and sprayed on rust proofing black. Be sure it's actually rotting before just assuming and buying a new bumper if the stocker is fine. You should also shop around and look online for bumpers, as well as on here, half the time people give away their rear bumpers for free, and I've seen quite a few on ebay and the like for very cheap, dealer or body shop overstock.

The spray paint works great, IF you do all the prep work (clean, primer, clean, paint, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry clear, dry, clear, etc. and then baby it and let it dry undisturbed for a few days in dry, warm weather). You can spend about $30-40 in primer, paint, and clear rattle cans and have a really professional job that will last. Plus, when it gets all beat up and scratched, you can just touch it up and not have to baby a bumper with a $300 paint job.

If you can't find the correct paint color at autozone/advance/etc. I've found you can order the more obscure colors online through Napa and get it shipped to you for a few bucks. You can of course just buy the primer and clear at the parts store.

Back