DIY repair for loose roof rack plastic piece? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY repair for loose roof rack plastic piece?

bobogator

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
My roof rack water leak was repaired, but one of the plastic pieces that covers the bolts (?) is now loose (link to short video below). Seems like a plastic tab may be broken/missing. Any recommendations on a DIY repair, other than super glue? :) Going on a road trip this weekend and I'd prefer not to hear it flapping in the wind.

Thanks!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RlJUSEd0NzM4cXlhUllPSGtkZDB2UU9pblVKb29R

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Caulking would work but getting it out later might be a pain, I imagine light duty caulk will come off easy but hold well enough.

In a pinch, try friction tape.
Go to Home Depot and pick up a roll in the tape section.

It is like stretchy flexible electric tape, and requires a bit of stretching, tension, & overlapping onto itself, to hold it to itself.

If you get it on tight, it wont show too badly, it should hold, and can get wet and still hold.

It comes right off when needed without leaving any residue, glue or tack on the car.
Dont rub the tape down unless you wear gloves, its called friction tape for a reason-it will blister your skin in 2 rubs, - *snap* just like that.

Hot melt glue gun! A couple of dabs in the right places will fix that right up!

If all else fails and you're in a rush and want a temporary fix........duct tape! :D

Peter

Thanks for the replies! I'll try the hot glue gun suggestion. :)

Back