DIY Subwoofer Enclosure: Gen II STA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY Subwoofer Enclosure: Gen II STA

psycareyo

Reaction score
City, State
Plattsburgh, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 STA Supercharged
I'm finally... finally... finally… ready to install my sound system in the 08 STA. I've done some research and got some prices locally. I think I'm going to attempt to build my own sealed enclosure for behind the rear seat. I know my JBL1202D subs won’t fit behind the seat. They won’t even fit without an enclosure! My plan is to pick up a couple Kicker CVT 10” subs.

I'm planning on building both an amp rack and a custom sub enclosure. Two individual units so it's easier to adjust and remove. I will be removing most of the plastic cover against the rear wall (including the storage box).

I was actually thinking of setting it up so that the subs are facing the wall with enough room for them to move. Bass isn't a direction dependent wave so it should sound the same either way right?

The reason I want to do this is because I use my back seats folded down ALL the time and I don't want my woofer cones getting damaged or burned out by crap pressing against them.

• Does anyone here know a good program that's cheap to help me build a 3d model of my enclosure? Something extremely simple and maybe able to render a diagram for cutting etc etc. I

• Does anyone have a behind rear seat custom enclosure for the gen2 ST? Not interested in the under seat ones.

• I have some basic woodworking knowledge. How does one go about building these boxes? Any tips of the trade?

I'm thinking that there must be more people out there with gen2 units who want a custom enclosure so I'm hoping that everyone with interest or knowledge on how to build one should pipe up!

I was actually thinking of setting it up so that the subs are facing the wall with enough room for them to move. Bass isn't a direction dependent wave so it should sound the same either way right?
-Right, shouldn't matter how they're facing. Remember, some poeple install subs ont eh outside of the box, inside, pointing down, pointing up. it'll all sound the same.

• Does anyone here know a good program that's cheap to help me build a 3d model of my enclosure? Something extremely simple and maybe able to render a diagram for cutting etc etc.
-Use a router, and you can almost set the cone on the lip on the inside of the wood, so it's flatter overall, instead of it being flat with the cone sitting just outside the wood area.

• I have some basic woodworking knowledge. How does one go about building these boxes? Any tips of the trade?
-depending on how you're going to make it, i'd just hand draw it and keep the design as simple as possible. there's a schematic program that google uses, but i can't remember the name of it

good luck

Back