DIY Tailgate light bar wiring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY Tailgate light bar wiring question

Hey all,

Some LED's burnt out on my tailgate light bar. So I purchased two seperate LED strips to replace the entire light bar, so I have a wiring question involving the 4-pin wiring harness. I created this picture to help visualize my question because I know sometimes my wording gets confusing.

Top of the picture you see the male end trailer pin, with the 4 wires- each one standing for right turn and brake, left turn and brake, running lights (I believe), and ground.

You then see the pink and purple wires coming off of my light strips which stand for the 12V wire. How would I hook this up? Do I need to run something like a splitter and have ONE 12v wire going to the RIGHT TURN AND BRAKE (green) wire, and then have the OTHER wire going to the TAIL RUNNING LIGHT (brown) wire? Or will this create some sort of loop and cause a short to happen? (Vice versa for the left side.)

Just let me know if you can't understand what I am trying to ask here, and I'll try to clear things up.
Thanks,
Joe

Back