Do 91 Body Parts Fit A 94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do 91 Body Parts Fit A 94?

Hi! Longtime lurker, first time poster. I tried searching for a quick answer to this, but was unable to find one.

I own a '94 Eddie Bauer 4-door that was involved in a front-end collision a few months back and am now almost to the point where I've saved enough to fix it.
I'll be needing a new hood, front clip/lights, bumper, driver's side mirror, front left fender and possibly the two driver side doors.

I have a friend who owns a '91 Explorer 4-door whom her mechanic has read its last rites-- he says it needs thousands of dollars of work to engine, steering and
suspension, but is only worth about $300 (his words), so she has parked it and is using a different car.

My questions are these--

1) Will the '91 hood, front clip, fender and doors fit my '94 without looking too obscene? I know '91-'94 is same generation, just wondering if anyone has experience or inside knowledge whether this is a good idea.

2) What do those parts (hood/front/mirror/fender/doors) typically go for in a junkyard? Are there any new OEM hood/front/fender/doors being sold?

I'd like to buy her car and use it for parts because it'd keep the money in the family (so to speak) and she has this awesome front bumper guard that I've always been jealous over. Any help offered will be appreciated.

0LhLl.jpg

yVUBX.jpg

gVobj.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, swap it over.

Update--

So I've switched the front end and fender

7w0JL.jpg

RZME0.jpg

Yesterday I pulled the Driver's Side front and rear doors off my white '91 parts Explorer, and drove them to my auto shop guy in the back of my '94 Eddie. Just got off the phone with him, he said the doors won't fit, he put it on and played with it to get it to shut but its noticeably off, apparently one of the angles is wrong or something. He's calling junkyards now to find me doors that will fit.

So, FYI-- these '91 doors do not fit my '94 :(

Everything on the body, including the doors, is the same from 91-94. Actually, the doors are the same as later Explorers as well.

Hanging doors IS tricky, though. The auto shop guy might be in over his head trying to hang doors, or is just trying to get you to buy them somewhere else.

Easiest way to hang doors on the Explorer is to remove the doors by taking out the hinge pin, then mark the hinge locations on the door and body, and either replacing bent hinges, or just hang the new (white) doors with white hinge still attached, using the existing body-side (green) hinge.

The pinstripe should also help make it even easier to be sure things are lined up perfectly rather than trying to eye body lines or gaps.

Also keep in mind you could always swap over the '94 engine/transmission/etc. into the '91 body if it's in better shape, and even the interior as well.

I agree your auto shop guy doesn't know what he is doing. The doors are exactly the same 1991 to 2001. That being said the wiring harness will be different from year to year but the exterior shell of the door is the same for all those years. You might start looking for a different auto shop guy. Like maybe a real paint and body guy.

Yeah I have swapped a door off a 91 and put it on a 94 before with out any issues. Something else must be wrong or when you were in the accident it might have bent the body so when the new door got put on it would not line up.

Back