• Register Today It's free!

do 98 limiteds(v8) come in 2wd?

goldlifter

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 limited v8
looking at some explorers right now and there was a 98 limited and it didnt have any 4x4 buttons inside....how do i know whether its awd or 2wd? my mechanic said the v8s only came in awd in 98? any way to check on that? thanks in advance bros, take care

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, not sure on that question but I'm sure someone that does will chime in ;)

No, they did come in 2wd also. Take a look under the truck, and look for a drivshaft going to a front differential. I'll look pretty obvious if you have the AWD. Another test, can you spin the tires? :burnout: the 2wd will but the AWD's won't. Take a look and if you still aren't sure I'll snap a pic of what the bottom of my truck looks like.

its an hour drive back to the car...is there any way of checking via the vin number? i didnt see options listed on a carfax

It's gotta be in the VIN somewhere, but I'm not sure which character represents drivetrain.

It's the 6th and 7th #'s in the VIN.

If the 6th is 3 and the 7th is 2, it's a 2wd

If the 6th is 3 and the 7th is 4, it's a 4wd

If the 6th is 3 and the 7th is 5, it's AWD

All this info is for a 4 door explorer. Hope this helps

HUGE thanks bro, much appreciated...it is awd. i thought it was at first but when i got to thinking, i never saw a switch for anything so i wasnt sure. thanks again, take care

Glad I can help.
cheers.gif

Back