Do all 4.0 liters tic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do all 4.0 liters tic?

ex voto

Reaction score
My '94 Sport seems to have an intermittent engine tic at any RPM, cold or hot. A friend tells me that all 4.0's have an inherent ticking and I should not be alarmed. Well, I am. I use good oil, and change the oil every 2,500 miles, and the engine runs well, but that just bugs the hell out of me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 4.0 has 165,000kms on it and it runs quiet. No ticking at all. Not sure about everyone else's.
Good luck, hope it isn't anything serious.

My '92 has had a funny ticking noise for as long as I can remember. It is the loudest (heard best) when the vehicle is accelerated with a building on the left side of the truck. It is only obivious with the tranny in gear and it does get louder with the engine RPM while power brakeing. I don't know what it is but it has never changed, got louder and doesn't harm anything that I know of, so for now I am not conserned with it.

that ticking you hear i can bet it's the

clearance between the rockerarms and the valve adjusters, it's pretty normal for older motors to develop this tick as you call it, the only way to get rid of it is to measure the valve guide clearance and then accordingly to what you measure you got to replace the guides...overall it's something you don't have to worry about and i would recomment doing this job untill you are going to rebuild....it's not worth the time or efford to do it...

Mine started to tic/click today. It is very annoying especially when your at a stop. All you hear is click click click over and over. Can it be something else besides the rocker arms?

I just went to go listen to it in my garage. This cant be good. It sounds like is coming from underneath the truck. But I am not positive. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

hmmm...it's hard to figure out an engine knocking if you don't actaully hear it running...heh

is it using oil ?....is it smoking blue when it's cold ?....

stuff like that will help us out so we might be able to determine what's wrong,

Mine is using about an quart of 10-30 MC every 400 miles, it ticks and it blows blue smake when it's cold wich signals me that the piston rings are getting wore out, because the peeps that had the truck never got their oil changed and from the view of the PCV valve it has never been changed either...

how you can see if it's your piston rings ?....easy....

just run an compression test on every cilinder .... i don't know straight out of my head what the values are for an 4.0 V6 but you need to have atleast about 100-110 punds per cilinder...if you are running below that...write it down wich cilinders it are, cause after all it might also mean an blown head gasket, cracked head or anything else...

what you do next is take some heavy weight oil...20-50 orso and squirt some oil straight in the cilinder thru the sparkplug hole....then measure the compression again, if it jumps up the over 100 then it's the piston rings, if not then it might be the head gasket or the head/block that's cracked or even an burned valve can be the problem , for those problem you will have to open the block anyways it's just to let you see that you can determine what might be wrong with it.

Wow, Thats some pretty good info you gave. But the funny thing is that my truck runs pretty good. It doesnt burn oil at all. Never has blown out any color smoke under any condition. Engine was always quiet, now today when I stated it this morning, tapping/clicking which ever you want to call, it would drive you crazy.

However, the ticking/clicking start after I put in the new temp coolant sensor. But would that really have anything to do with it???

hmmm no it's probebly not direct the temp sensor but the engine controll system is rather complicated, so with the renewal of the sensor it might have triggered another thingamejigger to go fault on you.....

it might be somesort of rellais or valve that keeps hanging up on you....

have you tried resetting the computer ?

those haynes books are not that detailed when it comes to the electrical system schemes... :(

let me know what it does....

Thanks for the help.

Actually, my truck uses absolutely no oil, and doesn't smoke at all. Tried a heavier weight oil when I changed the oil last, and it helped, but only minimally. I plan on adjusting the valves soon. Hopefully that will quiet it up.

Thanks again.

Ticking

The ticking could be caused by a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket or a hole in a header. Just a thought.

could be but there's an distingtive difference in the tick if it's an tick or an leak...

Mine ticks and I found out that it was the belt tensioner.

some do!

A couple of thoughts -
The lifters in the 4.0 are notorious for their ticking. I believe its a retaining ring, or maybe one of the check valves in the lifter thats the problem, dont remember which. Lots of reports around 80-100k miles. The lifters and top end are not oiled that well-IMO since the cologne started life as a solid lifter the oil volume to the top end seems light. The oil passage to the rockers is one small bore and out through the shaft.
Same ideas go for the push rod cup in the cast rocker arms- I would bet its either lifters or rocker arm/push rod wear.

When I tore my engine down to rebuild- the mains and rods were on the small side of specs! The top end was obliterated- rocker arms cup and tip , push rods, rocker shafts. So when my pick up was plugged and my Oil pressure gauge was at 0 the bottom end had enough oil volume but the top was left out. So the basis for my top end needs more oil theory. FWIW

joec5-
if you say the sound is coming from UNDER the vehicle, then i would check your heat sheilds first. sounds obvious, but my engine click comes from above the motor on the passangers side. ford cats are notorious for the heat sheilds coming loose and when they first start, can sound very much so like a taptaptap.

like jimf said, it could very well be a header leak. depending on where it is and how large, it can sound like a click, not a hisssssss. espcecially if you have a cracked manifold. then you won't hardly be able to tell the difference.

-russel

One thing I do know that it is not the cat shields. And how I know this, because every single one fell off :). I am going to try to isolate the problem, find out exactly where it is coming from. My truck is in the body shop as we speak getting the rusted rockers panels fixed up. I am friends with the owner of the shop and he is also a mechanic so I will ask him to check it out.

My '93 has done that since I bought it. No blue smoke, doesn't burn oil. My guess.... the fuel injectors pulsing on and off. A lot of GM motors do this too and a friend of mine suggested that that might be it.

Fuel injectors I have heard tick, but you can only hear them at idle with the hood open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it might be somesort of rellais or valve that keeps hanging up on you....

have you tried resetting the computer ?

Hi! I wish to know how to reset my Exp. computer? Thanks for any help.

Back