Do Aviator or Explorer have auto locking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do Aviator or Explorer have auto locking?

TexasBill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
My 2013 Cadillac XTS I traded in had one feature I can't seem to find on the new 2020 Aviator. When i walked away from from the Cadillac with the KeyFob in my pocket, the car doors would automatically lock and the horn did a quick chirp as feedback. I loved the feature.

Does anyone know if Lincoln has a similar feature?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't checked the Owner's Manual but I don't think it does.

Peter

Thank you...If Ford is monitoring this forum, please add this feature. I think it would be well received.

After checking my downloaded version of the Manual, the Aviator it does not appear to have that feature. Also, Ford does not monitor this Forum that I am aware of. They used to have a couple reps here but they were taken off all forums a couple years ago. Not sure if this is still valid. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/submit-your-ideas-to-ford-link-updated.401892/
Another member brought this up as well, but personally, given all the existing locking options, I don't really see a need for this feature

Peter

I agree that a “walk away” locking feature could be useful, but I also see how Ford could envision some situations where the customer would not want this.

Between the fob button, the lock button on the inside of the door and, especially, touching the outside door handle when you get out, there are plenty of options.

And don’t forget the FordPass ultra-remote option if you’re not sure if you locked it.

I agree that Lincoln has many options for locking the car, but also like technology that just works without even thinking about it, or works even if you forget. So never having to remember to physically lock the car, and it just is always locked whenever you exit the car with the keyfob in your pocket, is an example, and Cadillac has had it for years.

I do have to say that the technology in the 2020 Aviator is amazing. I am really loving the SUV. The headlights, heads up display, air suspension, The 28 speaker Revel audio system, massaging seats, and safety systems are examples where the Aviator shines, and so much better than what Cadillac has to offer IMO.

Thank you again for your comments.​

no. Also note that if you leave the roof glass open it will NOT close after shutoff

It's 2020 and Ford still has not implemented an auto lock/auto arm security system in their vehicles. My wife Chevy has that feature. My 2016 Malibu had it. I really don't understand the logic behind that. Especially for has their signature keypads on the door to unlock the vehicle.

It's 2020 and Ford still has not implemented an auto lock/auto arm security system in their vehicles. My wife Chevy has that feature. My 2016 Malibu had it. I really don't understand the logic behind that. Especially for has their signature keypads on the door to unlock the vehicle.
Not sure... i don't own one of those but my thought is maybe people use them as work trucks to they go back and forth from the truck and don't want it to lock... not sure tho... also maybe because you can lock it via the keypad if u don't want to use the keys... and unlock it too so it made more sense to use that as opposed to auto lock which could be a pain if used for working

also my assumption is you're talking about when you walk away and it locks...

Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Not sure... i don't own one of those but my thought is maybe people use them as work trucks to they go back and forth from the truck and don't want it to lock... not sure tho... also maybe because you can lock it via the keypad if u don't want to use the keys... and unlock it too so it made more sense to use that as opposed to auto lock which could be a pain if used for working

also my assumption is you're talking about when you walk away and it locks...
I understand but that should be a feature that’s able to be enabled or disabled. Again Chevy has that feature where you can make it arm in 5-15-30 seconds I believe or not arm unless you use the FOB. It’s basic alarm technology and should not be difficult.

I understand but that should be a feature that’s able to be enabled or disabled. Again Chevy has that feature where you can make it arm in 5-15-30 seconds I believe or not arm unless you use the FOB. It’s basic alarm technology and should not be difficult.
True! I think it should be on, or at least an option that can be disabled on lower end models for fleets... not actually sure now... my 98 Ex has it after 2 mins... 🧐

Personally, I prefer to be by the vehicle to ensure it actually locks. I don't actually see a need for it, especially all the ways you can lock a vehicle these days. But that's just me. :)

Peter

The convenience of having the keys in your pocket is the main reason they advertise push start and locking and unlocking the car with the handle. Many times I go the the store and have lots of bags. Sometimes I do forget to lock the vehicle because my hands are full. The vehicle honking would indicate it self armed just like a Chevy.

I’d be willing to bet there is a way to make it announce that it’s locked.

True but with keyless entry. The key fob has a transponder in it to prevent that. Plus they have a keypad on the door jam. Chevy has OnStar now for has FordPass. It can be done it’s all in coding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am surprised that some here are so opinionated that this is feature is not even needed. Like sever here have mentioned, GM has had this feature for a long time, and since Ford does not have it, it must be a patent issue IMO. I loved it on my old Caddy, and I always listened to the beep which let me know the car was locked. That little beep gave me confidence the car was locked, and I miss that on my new Aviator. On GM cars, each element of the feature could be turned on or off...including auto locking, a beep response and i think a few more options were available to customize the feature to each driver. Also, one of the options I remember would prevent locking your key fob in the car, but i think that could be manually overridden.

Back