• Register Today It's free!

Do DPFE Sensor on a 97 Explorer?

bizwiz79

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD. I'm getting a P0401 code - Insufficient EGR flow. I know that this is usually the DPFE sensor. Therefore, I have searched the engine compartment, looked up every technical article I could find, searched every forum on the internet, and cannot get a straight answer as to where the damn thing is located.

However, after finding a few interesting articles, I have a new theory. I have read that Ford changed from a "DPFE-less" system to a DPFE in 1997. Therefore, some have a DPFE, some don't. On the ones that don't (mine), there appears to be a more upright, cylindrical unit called an EVR (Electronic Vacuum Regulator).

First of all, is this correct?
Second, would this unit cause the P0401 like the DPFE does?
Third, when looking for this sensor, I was playing with the bellow on the EGR valve, and noticed it appeared to be sticky. I have freed it up so it moves freely now. Could this have been causing the code?

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the internal, or external egr engine?

look on the passenger side header-do you see an Egr tube coming straight up off it? If not, yours has an egr position sensor. It does essentially the same thing as the dpfe.
The sticking EGR valve could have definitely caused the code

Honestly, I can't tell. Everything is under the intake manifold. Although, I can say that the EGR valve looks nothing like all of the pictures I've seen of it... this one is much bigger, and is horizontal coming off the intake. This cylindrical sensor that I pulled off has two vacuum ports and an electrical connection.

Honestly, I can't tell. Everything is under the intake manifold. Although, I can say that the EGR valve looks nothing like all of the pictures I've seen of it... this one is much bigger, and is horizontal coming off the intake. This cylindrical sensor that I pulled off has two vacuum ports and an electrical connection.

The cylindrical sensor that you pulled off is probably the EGR Vacuum Solenoid which could also cause that problem, it has a small filter under the cap. Check to see if it is dirty and clean if needed. The DPFE will have a plastic or aluminum housing with two 3/8" lines with a harness attached. I think but not sure that on the V8 it is attached to a valve cover but dont quote me on that. Make sure you check the EGR valve with a vacuum pump and check the voltages on the DPFE, vacuum selenoid and EGR.

Sorry, I misread your post. Thought you said you had the DPFE. Not sure where PFE is located but EGR's can stick and might have been your problem. Only way that I know to tell for sure is to check everything when it's acting up.

k well my photobucket wont let me log in, but on my 00 5.0 (diff but i could show you where mine is)the DPFE is to the left (driverside) of the egr mounted to the back of the intake manafold all you see is a black rectangle with a gray 3 pin oval connector

Back