Do Ford tranny's have self-adjusting bands? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do Ford tranny's have self-adjusting bands?

FordCastle08

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited 4x4
It's me, the "new girl on the block". I was seeking a transmission guy to adjust the bands on my transmission and I was told that my tranny has "self-adjusting bands" (5r55e tranny). Is this accurate? If so can I get a link to information on the concepts and mechanism design for a self-adjusting transmission.

My goal for adjusting the bands was to decrease the winding in the transmission during acceleration, between the first and second gear. The winding will stop and engage if I slow down or have come to a stop, then the vehicle will accelerate with proper power and force. But sometimes during a trip, the stopping or slowing down does not help with the transmission winding. Does this make sense to anyone? :dunno:

I have read the post on the "5r55e Valve Body Rebuild Diary" but I am hoping that the simpler band adjustment is the fix.

Advise is much appreciated...Vera

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe this might help... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160

another thing that has super info is an ATSG manual for your 5R tranny. save your money and don't purchase a Haynes manual. it has zero info on trannys, other than saying "carry your automatic transmission to a professional"...lol.

Short answer is no. Stay away from whoever told you that.

The 1-2 shift is accomplished by applying the OD band. It could help to adjust it, but I suspect more likely a pressure issue. (VB or EPC)

Thanks for the prompt reply...

Wow!!!I will be sure to stay away from that shop. I was afraid that this might be a valve body rebuild. This job is way above my head. I think I should complete some other smaller issues first to get experience on my Explorer before I try to tackle this one. I am going to study more posts and books first about the valves, pressure, and its function in my car, this will give me more confidence to do the rebuild.

Thanks guys. :salute: Have a great day.

Back