Do I have a ground loop problem?

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Finally got my system installed. I get a low level hum from my subwoofer with the engine on, & the head unit volume at 0 or when it's switching between cd tracks or radio stations. It goes away when I raise the volume to 1 or more. It doesn't change with RPM & only happens when the engine is on. What you guys think?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did yuo run your rca's on the other side of your power wire? That could be a problem with it picking up engine noise from your power wire.

Also, i odnt think its a ground loop otherwise it either wouldnt turn on, or when you turned it on/off there would be a pop noise.

Yes they are run on different sides of the truck. It does give a little pop when turning on & off.

By checking the actual place where you systems grounds out, you could determine if is a good ground. I like to use factory bolts that actually are metal and screw into metal. If you dont mind did you get it done at a store or you and your friend did it?

what is the amplifier mounted to, also how much did you pay for the rca's

yah, if your ground is grounded to a screw with paint on it, or chassis paint, u will have to sand down the paint so its metal on metal. That's y your getting a pop when u turn it on/off.

I have a good ground. It is to bare metal. I'm not using screws to hold it in place I am using heavy duty zip ties. I might have an amp problem though cause teh amp stopped working the fuses are all good. I did it myself. I wraped each wire in 2 layers of electrical tape to isolate them better from one another. I have installed a few system in Explorers & also my cars. Here's a pic of where it's mounted. This was before I made it look nice & neat. I also got the hum when it was on the carpet just testing it.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/150979571/178584044kroOsa

I have a good ground. It is to bare metal. I'm not using screws to hold it in place I am using heavy duty zip ties. I might have an amp problem though cause teh amp stopped working the fuses are all good. I did it myself. I wraped each wire in 2 layers of electrical tape to isolate them better from one another.

Zip ties? Yikes! This is the first time I've heard anyone using them to secure their grounds. You should always use a screw or bolt to insure that the ground connection is tight and secure. I trust that you are using a ring terminal on the end of the ground wire as well? The amp maybe no longer working because the ground connection came loose. I would check that first.
You might want to read this page to find out more about amplifier installation and grounding...
http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

No not the ground :) The amp.

Well the amp died on me soon after this thread. I got a replacment, & all is good I get no nosies or have any problems. Guess the amp was just bad.

Back