Do I have Navigation System? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I have Navigation System?

DixonWilliams

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012Explorer XLT
Is there someway to tell if the Nav System was installed? I ask because I just bought used 2012 Explorer with MFT and Sync. It was listed as having a "Navigation System". There was no SD card and the dealer told me the nav system was the Sync Turn-byTurn system. I'm not so sure. I think it's just missing the SD card. The touch screen shows "Information" in the right upper corner. Is this what happens when the SD card is removedand then changes to "Navigation" when the card is replaced? Help, I want to know how hard to push this with the dealer. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there someway to tell if the Nav System was installed? I ask because I just bought used 2012 Explorer with MFT and Sync. It was listed as having a "Navigation System". There was no SD card and the dealer told me the nav system was the Sync Turn-byTurn system. I'm not so sure. I think it's just missing the SD card. The touch screen shows "Information" in the right upper corner. Is this what happens when the SD card is removedand then changes to "Navigation" when the card is replaced? Help, I want to know how hard to push this with the dealer. Thanks.

It sounds like you don't have the navigation. When you touch information on the top right corner, what does it show on the next screen? The Sync with MFT has turn by turn directions. The navigation is called the Voice Activated Navigation system. If I take my SD card out, it will say Navigation Fault on the instrument display. I believe the touch screen display will say there is no SD Navigation card or something like that. When my navigation sd card is installed, the top right corner will say navigation.

Goto this website, under "vehicle" type your VIN # ....after your vehicle comes up, on the right side under "Minor features" expand the list out and look for "With Navigation System"

If you don't see it listed, then you do not have SD card navigation.

http://www.etis.ford.com/home.do

Thanks all. The link to the site for the VIN was outstanding but alas it said "less Navigation System". So what should I do with the dealer that advertised it (I have the document) as having a "Navigation System"? That seems like very deceptive advertising to me.

Once again thanks for all the help!

Is it a Ford dealer? I'd make them buy a nav card and reload MFT with the rom that has nav.

Unless someone has proven it can't work, I would make them try.

Thanks all. The link to the site for the VIN was outstanding but alas it said "less Navigation System". So what should I do with the dealer that advertised it (I have the document) as having a "Navigation System"? That seems like very deceptive advertising to me.

That does seem deceptive if that's what your document says. I wouldn't consider Ford Sync with the turn by turn directions as a navigation system. Even on Ford's website, it never mentions the word "navigation" for the turn by turn directions on the Explorer options list. The optional feature with the maps and Sirius Travel Link is listed as "Navigational System with SiriusXM & Travel Link."

As far as what to do with the dealership, I don't know what options you have. From my understanding, the Navigation system can't be added to the vehicle so I don't think you can ask the dealership to give you a navigation system. Do you still want the vehicle?

Is it a Ford dealer? I'd make them buy a nav card and reload MFT with the rom that has nav.

Unless someone has proven it can't work, I would make them try.

Unfortunately, uniquename, the dealers can't add navigation, it has to be factory installed. Please see my previous post here:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2809030&postcount=24

I suggest contacting your dealership if you feel there's a discrepancy.

Rebecca

Thanks all. The link to the site for the VIN was outstanding but alas it said "less Navigation System". So what should I do with the dealer that advertised it (I have the document) as having a "Navigation System"?
You should go buy a garmin for $100 bucks or so. Much better navigation tool.

The dealer was accurate - if you read all of the details. You have a navigation system - if you have a cellphone with coverage. And you are not the first person who has posed the same question.

You should go buy a garmin for $100 bucks or so. Much better navigation tool.

The dealer was accurate - if you read all of the details. You have a navigation system - if you have a cellphone with coverage. And you are not the first person who has posed the same question.

Yea...get a $100 garmin and mount that 4 inch screen right next to the pretty 8.4 inch screen...

I personally think the dealer was a bit misleading, AND the OP should have actually tested something like that to see how (and if) it works.

The dealer was more than a bit misleading. Unless they also gave you a cell phone, at most you got part of a navigation system.

Yea...get a $100 garmin and mount that 4 inch screen right next to the pretty 8.4 inch screen...

I personally think the dealer was a bit misleading, AND the OP should have actually tested something like that to see how (and if) it works.
No, a Garmin 4" screen in the upper left hand corner of the windshield, when you need Nav, which for most people is about once a month, I'd think, or while on a trip.

Wish I could find a pic of the maroon who had the GPS dead center in the windshield in his line of site. Why everyone has a GPS stuck to their windshield all the time, I have no idea.

And in general, people should take some responsibility for the things they buy. I read the material. I knew full well what the Sync navigation features were. If someone told me the car had power windows, I'd make sure they went up and down before I bought it. If they said it had Nav, I would have turned it on and have seen how it worked before plunking down my check.

DCO i totally understand what you're saying but you're not being realistic. There are too many things to check when you pick up a new vehicle that you can't hit it all before you leave. Our explorers came with tire pressure sensors, so are you telling us that you deflated all the tires to make sure they are working too?? He overlooked checking the nav, still sounds misleading to me.... Navigation System to me is a map with visual turn by turn directions. If is says turn by turn navigation, thats different, it says Navigation System........

I just bought a 2012 Explorer. I checked the link with my vin, and the original window sticker was in the glove box. They both say I have navigation, It even has the (A3) navigation SD card installed, but the display has information in the top right corner and the navigation menus in the infotainment display don't function. Could the navigation be disabled somehow, or was the vin information and window sticker wrong?

I just bought a 2012 Explorer. I checked the link with my vin, and the original window sticker was in the glove box. They both say I have navigation, It even has the (A3) navigation SD card installed, but the display has information in the top right corner and the navigation menus in the infotainment display don't function. Could the navigation be disabled somehow, or was the vin information and window sticker wrong?
I don't know if vehicles without Nav. would even have the slot for the SD card. It would be helpful if you added the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile or signature if you still have the others. Have you tried removing and reinserting the SD card to see if display in the top right corner changes at all? You can also try a Master Reset to see if that does anything.
Note: MFT Master Reset - This will erase all user entered data/phone pairing and reset the data of the APIM back to factory defaults and it should reboot the APIM (causing the SYNC Maintenance screen to come up).

Peter

It's the Limited. I've tried removing and reinserting the SD card, several times. I did the master reset, but it didn't reset back to factory default. The background picture I added was still there. The only difference I could tell was my phone information was gone and the lighting was turned off. I didn't mention the first time, but I don't have a navigation option in the settings menus either.

I read of several cases like yours, the option list shows NAV but wasn't activated. In some of the cases a dealer was able to get NAV working.

I don't know if vehicles without Nav. would even have the slot for the SD card.

All vehicles with MyFord Touch & MyLincoln Touch have SD Card slots. For non NAV equipped vehicles it just acts as additional input method.

I don't know if vehicles without Nav. would even have the slot for the SD card. It would be helpful if you added the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile or signature if you still have the others. Have you tried removing and reinserting the SD card to see if display in the top right corner changes at all? You can also try a Master Reset to see if that does anything.
Note: MFT Master Reset - This will erase all user entered data/phone pairing and reset the data of the APIM back to factory defaults and it should reboot the APIM (causing the SYNC Maintenance screen to come up).

Peter

Hi Peter,

omar302 is correct. All MyFord Touch systems are built with SD card slots. If you don't have integrated navigation, you can use the SD card for music or add pictures for wallpaper.

It's the Limited. I've tried removing and reinserting the SD card, several times. I did the master reset, but it didn't reset back to factory default. The background picture I added was still there. The only difference I could tell was my phone information was gone and the lighting was turned off. I didn't mention the first time, but I don't have a navigation option in the settings menus either.

Hi 03 Explorer XLT,

Like omar302 stated, it sounds like the navigation app needs to be reinstalled. I suggest sending your VIN in a private message, so I can verify the window sticker info.

Shaay

Is the navigation app something I can get and reinstall myself, or would I have to take it to a dealer to have it done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back