• Register Today It's free!

Do i have the pats system

jakprince

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
I have a 99 explorer it has the red theft light that blinks on the dash.I have one key with the black plastic end and one normal metal key.If the metal key will start it and run does that mean it has pats or not?The reason im asking is i want to install a remote starter and need to know if i need the bypass module or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it will start with the metal key you do not have pats system

Thanks.it sure would make the install easier if it doesnt have it.

Yep, jakprince is correct...100% sure.
No PATS.
Matt

That should have PATS. It started in '98 with an updated version in '99. Someone may have stashed a key somewhere the system is reading when you use the normal key.

If it's a 99, it's a PATS-equipped vehicle. As already mentioned, PATS arrived on the Explorers circa the 1998 model year.

-Joe

We bought it new so i don't think there is any key stashed in it.I just don't see how it could have pats if a normal key will start it.

All 99 X's have PATS system, as standard equipment. You say that you see a flashing "Theft" light on the dash? That is part of the PATS system! It just may not be working. The key with the black plactic on it that you say you have, is that one of the original keys since new? If so, look at it and see if it has a small square on the top corner of the key, that is where the computer ship is enbedded. If it is there, and you can still start your vehicle with just a plain old metal key, your PATS is malfunctioning and or is somehow offline so to speak. Your remote start installer, if they know what they are doing, will tell you if you need the bypass or not.

Is the PATS key on the ring when you start the vehicle with the metal key? You know it only needs to be close to that area. By "stashed," he means that if a remote starter were installed at some point, some installers will place a PATS keys (sometimes just the transponder form it) up under the dash in order to fool the system into thinking that a PATS key is being used.

Note: Obviously, I overlooked the year of your vehicle in my earlier replies.

Matt

i heard that there is someway you can program a normal key to work with the PATS system, by doing some sort of timed routine using a PATS key and a normal key.

Beats me,I was just hoping that it didn't have it.Is the small square on the key obvious if its there?

The square is very obvious. Look the key over closely. There is no routine into fooling the PATS with a regular key. No chip in the area it knows, no vehicle start. Simple as that. Well, normally. The routine is to program a new key.

I still find it hard to believe that it will start with a normal key. Does the theft light flash eratically when the normal key is used.

And when I say "normal" I mean no PATS chip attached to it.

Do you happen to have a picture of what the square on a pats key looks like?

I found the square on my key! :) It is on one end of the top edge of the key. The small square is actually a rectangle about one-quarter inch long and one-eight inch wide. It appears as if it is a repair to the plastic that was not properly covered and smoothed out.

Back