Do I need a Class II? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a Class II?

I have a 2010 ST and this summer we are towing the pop up down to Georgia. My ST came from the factory with a class 1 set up. Will I be ok towing a pop up with a class 1? It's only a little pop up maybe around 1000lbs I'll check later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure your hitch isn’t class 2? I can’t find any info on a 2010 Sport Trac and a class 1.
were class 2s 1 1/4 too? that could be a way to tell. i know >3 is 2" but i dont know about class 2 levee always had 3 and 4

edit: googled it nevermind this is not a wy class 2 is 1 1/4 too

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

google says that they dont accept the same shanks class 1 and 2 class 1 has a stopper tab earlier to not be able to put class 2 accessories on

This the one I have with the factory setup. 1.25"
8cIpFe9deLwk6hPjjsqYa2m6=w823-h617-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Found this on the road a while back.

Tr599O9rfzsqL4Zc4teLkobQ=w463-h617-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

G3NLSX4uT-RMbjJN9DSU1ltA=w823-h617-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

That doesn’t answer the question. There should be a rating on it with a sticker or stamped into it.

I don't know if it'll fit or not, but I've got a Class III hitch that I removed from my 2000 Explorer. Don't know what shipping would cost on it, but cover that and its yours.

Are you sure your hitch isn’t class 2? I can’t find any info on a 2010 Sport Trac and a class 1.
Yes, it is Class 1. I tried my class 2 from a previous truck and it was too big.
I meant to say 08 if that makes a difference.

Also looking at the junkyard site there's a couple of explorers with aftermarket class ii hitches. Would an 02 Explorer (not a sport trac) fit?

Yes, it is Class 1. I tried my class 2 from a previous truck and it was too big.
I meant to say 08 if that makes a difference.
Class isn’t the receiver size….. Class 2 hitches are often (maybe always ) 1 1/4” receivers. Look at the hitch itself for stampings or a sticker.

I REALLY don’t think you have a class 1 hitch.

Also looking at the junkyard site there's a couple of explorers with aftermarket class ii hitches. Would an 02 Explorer (not a sport trac) fit?
No.

Class isn’t the receiver size….. Class 2 hitches are often (maybe always ) 1 1/4” receivers. Look at the hitch itself for stampings or a sticker.

I REALLY don’t think you have a class 1 hitch.
I think you may be on to something. The owners manual says class II standard, and looking up class II draw bars it states 1.25". This makes my life a whole lot easier.

Back