Do I need a longer rear drive shaft, After 4 inch lift on a sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a longer rear drive shaft, After 4 inch lift on a sport

kindred4x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 sport
Hello,
After I installed my 4 inch superlift on my sport I am experiencing some driveline vibrations at slow speeds, turning, and stopping. I can feel it in the floor, and it sounds like a rumble. I remember another member saying that the sports need a longer rear drive shaft after the superlift but I forgot his name, and couldn't find the post again.

So far I am thinking it is the rear shaft, because I removed the front shaft to isolate the vibration. Front hubs are new. Ball joints and rod ends are fairly new.

So does anybody with a 2 door sport with 4 inch superlift have vibration?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 4 door superlifted with vibration..... Prolly doesn't help but at least I feel more sane

both of you have your u-joints checked out the change in angle changes the wear pattern and you may hve joints that were already worn but now are showing their true colors.

I just did my u joints again about two weeks ago. I'm thinking when I swap in the new axle I may throw in shims to improve the pinion angle. I shouldn't have to but if it would help ill try it

both of you have your u-joints checked out the change in angle changes the wear pattern and you may hve joints that were already worn but now are showing their true colors.

I thought the same thing with the u joints. I will probably end up taking my rear shaft to a driveline shop to check out the u joints, slip joint, the GKN joint/Ball in the double cardan design, balance and possibly add some length to it also.

slickemhoundd- I also feel sane now knowing that the vibration just isn't on my rig

i didn't get any vibration after my Superlift,

i had the stock shaft,,

forgot to add

i even used shackles after the lift when i out on the 35's and no vibrations than either

I have the same kind of vibration on a six inch lift. Its shows up sometimes when slowing or getting up to speed on the freeway. I changed all ujoints thinking it was that. I took it to a shop to have them look at it. They said it looked like my pinion angle was off a little bit. I bought the shims and have yet to put them in, as the vibration is not that bad. I plan on doing a rebuild of the rear end hopefully at the beginning of the year, thats when I'll address that issue.

Back