Do I need a steering extension with a 2" BL? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a steering extension with a 2" BL?

Axial32

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 2dr. V8 Sport
Ok, I'm putting together a 2 in. body lift with hockey pucks. Don't tell me I can't b/c my bud has a 3in hockey puck lift on his huge dodge. The question for that is WILL I NEED A STEERING EXTENSION??????? I'm not worried about bumpers yet, and I'm going to just trim the radiator shroud if needed.

MY HUGE IDEA is .....

AWhile back I caught a glimspe of a diesel powered bronce. And I either want to drop a built 302 in my explorer when the V6 crooks on me or a small either 12V or 16V CUMMINS DIESEL engine, hopefully I'll find a wrecked truck so I can swap over everything. Another friend told me his 16V didn't have near the computers involved as most do so I could redo everything nice and simple.

So what do you guys think, BIG HORSE AND TORQUE for V8 or GOOD HORSE, BIG TORQUE and A LOT OF SMOKE.??????? I believe no-one has ever done this b4... sooo.... ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Comeone guys... nobody interested in posting back.....????

Just because you can do a hockey puck body lift doesn't mean you should, or that it's safe. Your not saving that much money over putting in a real body lift. As far as the diesel it has been discussed several times searching should provide you with a lot of answers.

Oh and by the way it's been all of 20 minutes since you started the thread, there was no need to bump it. It takes time for people to see them.

Hm that sounds pretty crazy lol, but then again, nothing compared to some of the stuff people do on here. Idk much about swapping engines, really none at all LOL, but I think a diesel powered explorer would be pretty f**kin sweet!

And where the hell is Zeeland michigan LMAO, im in newport/monroe/frenchtown like 40 miles from the ohio border on lake erie

Have you ever worked on your explorer before??

Bumping after 20 minutes is badass!!

Sweet.. I didn't know if anyone else had wanted or thought to put a diesel in their X...I'll foresure search that up.

Hockey pucks (I think) are basically the same thing, maybe alittle more rubber and still solid, but think about it, the bushings that come in a bl, aren't they almost hollow, w/ some of the inside cut around where the bolts go through?

it is costing me under $50, for a 2in... I don't really need the 3in. the gap of the 3in. wouldn't look right with my exhaust.

Holy hell your far lol

A is me, B is you
jhfdfkhj.png

Your bud actually used a hockey puck to lift his truck?

Zeeland is a town east of holland MIchigan, up by grand rapids

Have you ever worked on your explorer before??

Bumping after 20 minutes is badass!!

10x8voj.jpg
all done by me and my bro... I got more pics if you want to see.

Ahaha 22 minutes bumping ...

Anyways, first figure out what the laws are in your state before you do an engine swap. It would bring the suck if finish the swap only to find out that you can no longer drive the vehicle on the street.

Attachments

• axial32.gif
    axial32.gif
    818 bytes · Views: 1,021

Ive seen that explorer before!
Not in real life, lol just around on the forum.

I have some diesel mechanics in my family so they would love to help me, since I would pay them.

and yep, he has a 98 standard cab short box dodge sport. 6in skyjacker, leveling kit, blocks in the rear with custom leafs, coil spacers and now the 3in BL

in michigan, it's not as strict with emissions like cali and other states
sorry about the bump... i needed the question answered about the steering extension.. thats why i bumped it

Ahaha 22 minutes bumping ...

Anyways, first figure out what the laws are in your state before you do an engine swap. It would bring the suck if finish the swap only to find out that you can no longer drive the vehicle on the street.

Is it illegal to swap engines? Never heard of that before...

Hockey pucks degrade much faster than an actual body lift block. They are made of a rubbery compound as compared to the hard plastic of the block. Maybe on a trail rig it'd be a good way to save money but on a DD, I'd hate to have the headache of my body lift disintegrating before my eyes.

Is it illegal to swap engines? Never heard of that before...
In some states, you can only swap engines from the same year or newer.

Sweet.. I didn't know if anyone else had wanted or thought to put a diesel in their X...I'll foresure search that up.

Hockey pucks (I think) are basically the same thing, maybe alittle more rubber and still solid, but think about it, the bushings that come in a bl, aren't they almost hollow, w/ some of the inside cut around where the bolts go through?

it is costing me under $50, for a 2in... I don't really need the 3in. the gap of the 3in. wouldn't look right with my exhaust.

The only problem with hockey pucks is they deteriorate after awhile. Ask GJarrett about that.

I say enough talk, just do it :thumbsup:. Too many people have said they're doing this swap or that swap, but usually nothing ever materializes from the idea except for a thread. Don't be like those people ;)

nike-just-do-it.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back