Do I need longer shocks if I adjust 1/2" Torsion bars? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need longer shocks if I adjust 1/2" Torsion bars?

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Hi everyone,

New to this forum. Just picked up a 1999 4WD 2DR sport Explorer for daily use and some fun. Put some 15" wheels and 31/10.50R15 Pro Comp tires/wheels on it and looks great, but the ass sags a bit.

So thinking of adjusting the front Torsion bars to give me about 1/2 to 1" lift max in the front and either go with 3" lifting blocks in the rear or WAR153 Warrior rear shackles ( I like this idea better). Big question I have is do I need longer shocks front and rear? The rear needs to go up about 2" with a 1/2" lift front to level the chassis out.

Thanks!

go with the warrior shackles in the back. and the torsion twist in the front.

you shouldn't need new shocks in the front, but you could do the back shocks if you want

oh!

and welcome to the site!

use the search engine to find plenty of threads on your rig and what you want to do with it

Hey thanks man! Didn't expect to get a reply so fast. Sounds like a plan because I just bought new shocks for it and hate to go get another set just for this.

Cheers,
Rob

You don't need new shocks unless you prefer new shocks. Cranking the torsions just changes the ride height position with the exact same travel arc. It will change your alignment slightly though. Lift blocks in the rear will not work either. They would actually lower the ride height of the vehicle due to the Explorer being spring under axle. Id suggest an add a leaf if you only crank the torsions up to an inch. You don't want a high stink bug look.

Back