Do I need to remove transfer case and transmission to remove the engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need to remove transfer case and transmission to remove the engine?

sanbenito

Reaction score
City, State
san benito texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I read on the Haynes manual that I need to remove the transfer case and transmission to remove the engine. Is that correct? I want to get as much info as I can before I start this weekend. I haven't found anything on YouTube for a 2004 explorer 4x4. Thank you

By the way, I just joined the Elite group. Payment showed up as Rick Horwitz Photography. Is that correct? I hope, I know I will be asking alot of questions on this engine removal, timing chains, head gasket,etc. Please have patience with me, this is my first time doing this on a explorer. Thank you all.

It will likely be helpful for you to post your engine type and transmission type as well.

I believe that you can just unbolt the engine from the transmission at the bell housing but others with more experience in this area will likely comment. I don't think that you have to remove the transfer case either, but you may want to for better access.

Also, if you are pulling your engine, you will want to make sure you do any required maintenance on the transfer case while you have easy access to it. It's also a good time to look at your front differential (seals, bearings, etc), power steering, brake lines, radiator, etc. I make a point to try and find and repair everything in an area that I have disassembled. It will never be easier or less expensive.

LMHmedchem

Back