• Register Today It's free!

Do I need...

jyo

Reaction score
City, State
Havre de Grace,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Do I need a special wiring harness for an aftermarket Headunit in a 91 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I pulled my stock stereo out and It's different than the radio shack harness I bought for a 91-94 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to walmart one they have one especially made for ford, i dont think radioshack carries the right ones

Wireing harness adaptors, sucj as one from Crutchfield, make the swap a neat and easy job.

Good luck....

I tried wal-mart,radio shack, local ford dealer, NAPA, Kunkels(local parts store),Autozone and Western Auto and nobody even knew what I was talkin bout. they thought I was talkin in Northern SouthAfrica gibberish from the sick medicine man or somethin.

Do you have the JBL system? Is there a sub in the cargo area? If so, you're going to need the Ford/JBL adapter, not the Ford/Premium Audio adapter. Places like Best Buy and Circuit City have them. It's like $50 though, so it helps if you have a buddy who works at BB who can get it with their discount.

peace

Mike

even if there is no sub, he still probably has the premium sound setup. my X came without a factory sub, but i needed the premium sound wire harness because it had an amp. i dont think 91-94 had a subwoofer as an option. but maybe they did, i havent seen any

Look its not a big deal man, heres what u do.
Call up CRUTCHFIELD.
Tell them that you need the wiring harness for what ever year truck you have.
They'll ask you if you need the amp bipass harness as well.
tell them yes....this saves time and only cost a little more.
the whole package only costs like 13.00 with shipping. and you get it in 2 days.
when u get it the harness plugs rite into the stock plugs. and then try the radio. if it don't work in the hatch behind the panel on the passenger side there is an amp. you have to use the amp bipass plug to bipass the amplifer that ford gave ya.
Even if you don't have the subwoofer you still might need the amp bipass harness......

email them...i just bought the factory amp bypass harness and it came with the premium hu adapter.. it was 16 bucks to my front door

Just got back from Circuit City and got the harness for $17. thanx for all the help. I haven't got it hooked up yet, cause I've gotta get a fuse. Hey, question? Isn't .5A kinda small for an amp turnon?

nope..it is a turn on like a relay..not the actual power wire

oh yeah, duhh simple electronics. Thanx

Back