Do I really need to check the transmission fluid level after I change it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I really need to check the transmission fluid level after I change it?

TheWestMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
I am thinking about changing the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) on my 2015 Explorer Limited and have done some research. Almost everyone is saying “drain, refill, then check fluid level with the engine running”. However, the ATF cap is hidden under the air filter and I have to remove the air filter assembly first to refill it. This leaves it impossible for me check the fluid level with the engine running.

I am just thinking, if I add back the exact same amount of ATF as I drained (cold engine), do I really need to check the fluid level afterwards?

Seems like auto shop would use a machine to drain and fill back the same amount of fluid. Do they really check the fluid level after the refill? Does anyone know how does auto shops do transmission fluid change?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like auto shop would use a machine to drain and fill back the same amount of fluid. Do they really check the fluid level after the refill? Does anyone know how does auto shops do transmission fluid change?

If they are doing it right, they damn well better be checking the fluid level. It's very fussy.

Attachments

• 2015 Explorer.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 263

If they are doing it right, they damn well better be checking the fluid level. It's very fussy.
Thanks for sharing the document. But I still wonder how would they check the transmission fluid level. The dipstick is right below the air box. You have to remove the air box first.

Thanks for sharing the document. But I still wonder how would they check the transmission fluid level. The dipstick is right below the air box. You have to remove the air box first.

It sounds like you have the 6f50/55 and from the procedure, it looks like you can clock the air cleaner 90 degrees. Disclaimer: I am not familiar with servicing this vehicle, even though I had one for a short time.

Attachments

• 2015 Explorer 6f35.pdf
    261.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 2015 Explorer6F50.pdf
    211.3 KB · Views: 349

It sounds like you have the 6f50/55 and from the procedure, it looks like you can clock the air cleaner 90 degrees. Disclaimer: I am not familiar with servicing this vehicle, even though I had one for a short time.

Thanks for sharing the service manual. That's very helpful. May I ask how to get these service manuals?

If you add back exactly what comes out you’ll be fine. If things go awry and you spill a bunch it becomes much more involved.

If you add back exactly what comes out you’ll be fine. If things go awry and you spill a bunch it becomes much more involved.
That’s what I was thinking as well. Draining the fluid into a paint measuring bucket should be precise.

That’s what I was thinking as well. Draining the fluid into a paint measuring bucket should be precise.
Assuming it was at the proper 'full' level to begin with.

Peter

If it was running and driving fine and this is preventative maintenance, it should be more than adequate.

This is surely done by machine using extremely precise flow meters, and is probably one of the lesser messed up things that happen in manufacturing.

Just take it to a shop and have them take care of it.

Lot less headaches, they get rid of the old ATF and odds are they know what they are doing.

Some things are better having a shop do it.

Just take it to a shop and have them take care of it.

Lot less headaches, they get rid of the old ATF and odds are they know what they are doing.

Some things are better having a shop do it.
That would definitely be much less headache. But I think the process is pretty straightforward. Definitely can be done at home. Just the airbox placement is really annoying. Plus, DIY feels really accomplished.

While it is enjoyable to do things on your vehicle yourself there are a few things that taking it into a shop will come out with better results.

As I have aged I have learned that I like the skin on my knuckles and the ability to read a paper or magazine while someone else fights the battles. I can and will do a lot of the maintenance on my Explorer myself but when it comes time for the transmission fluid change out I'll trust a shop to do it.

I agree. I used to do some of my own maintenance but now that time has marched on, I also feel a certain amount of accomplishment/satisfaction after having had a couple free coffees, paying the invoice and driving home. :)

Peter

When I worked on these at the dealer the lower filter housing would come out and I'd loosen the air boot at the throttle body so i could turn it and still keep the MAF in place. As long as a dust storm isn't blowing through the shop this works fine for checking and correcting.

Interesting enough first time I did a drain and refill on mine I measured 4.5 liters, however after following the factory manual and refill with 4.5 quarts that resulted to be dead on the perfect level on the full mark on the dipstick. 0.25 quarts won´t overfill the transmission anyway. I did a total of 5 drain and refills and using torque app checked the level at 190 F and it was perfect level. There are people against drains and refills, the obvious is the extra fluid you have to use, around 22 quarts total. Instead with a flush you use about 15 quarts. The way I did it I can do it myself, be sure what I put in.

Interesting enough first time I did a drain and refill on mine I measured 4.5 liters, however after following the factory manual and refill with 4.5 quarts that resulted to be dead on the perfect level on the full mark on the dipstick. 0.25 quarts won´t overfill the transmission anyway. I did a total of 5 drain and refills and using torque app checked the level at 190 F and it was perfect level. There are people against drains and refills, the obvious is the extra fluid you have to use, around 22 quarts total. Instead with a flush you use about 15 quarts. The way I did it I can do it myself, be sure what I put in.

Exactly, having total control of how the job is done.

I have a few questions though. (1) What is the "torque app"? (2) How do you know the temperature is 190F? Is it a certain range of the engine temperature meter?

I have a few questions though. (1) What is the "torque app"? (2) How do you know the temperature is 190F? Is it a certain range of the engine temperature meter?
Torque is an OBD2 app that is telling him the trans temp (among with a host of info)

Torque app is used to read the sensors on the vehicle, read and clear DTCs (check engine lights). You also need an ODBII bluetooth adapter. With Torque I read the transmission temperature Sensor, that´s all, no guessing.

Torque app is used to read the sensors on the vehicle, read and clear DTCs (check engine lights). You also need an ODBII bluetooth adapter. With Torque I read the transmission temperature Sensor, that´s all, no guessing.

Unfortunately this is the way of the world with modern transmissions on more and more modern vehicles. Bad enough that the removable/replaceable filter that worked great for all these years have been embedded deep within the casing requiring the transmission to be removed and the case split.

Ford GM and Chrysler early 2000's at least have two different ways. 2011+ Explorers have a drain plug and fill tube/fluid level indicator but NON serviceable filter. GM and Chrysler have replaceable filter but no drain plug requiring the draining from the return line of the transmission cooler part of the radiator. GM also mounts the Exhaust Crossover Pipe smack dab over the rear of the rear bolts of the transmission pan requiring the exhaust to be moved down and the transmission rear housing to be raised about an inch or two to clear to remove. Did I also mention that they put the filter near the back of the pan so you are forced to totally remove the pan to access the filter. Both are bad designs but I figure the dealers weren't getting enough service appointments for transmission failures.

Also the Sealed for life is a scam and totally benefits the manufacturer. They say don't change the fluid for x.. miles and gambling that in most cases by the time any severe breakdown in fluid is discovered, the warranty will be expired./...even extended warranty....and they can sell you a new transmission or hopefully a new car. Either way the dealer and manufacturer wins.

With that said.....rant complete......The Explorer not that bad at least a drain plug is better than nothing. I get the Airbox in the way but think like this. I have been able to check fluid with airbox installed. I have not serviced but I would think if you can get a long enough flexible funnel then you should be fine. If you measured out what was removed, start with that, then after driving around you can park on a level surface and check.

I wont try to profess other peoples knowledge, ability or manual dexterity but I was able to check mine with the Livernois CAI kit installed. The OEM Air Intake should be slightly narrower I would definitely recommend a set of heat resistant gloves for checking warm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, always a best practice to check the fluid level after a change. I did the drain and refill on my 2017 yesterday and it was so easy. I can easily reach the dipstick on my tranny without removing anything. Just have to wear a long rubber glove to protect my arm when checking the fluid when the engine is running and hot...

Back