Status
Not open for further replies.

Devo55

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Monday ordered a transmission modulator for my Explorer (A4LD) and figured it would be at my door by the weekend so I could install it. RockAuto sent tracking info that very day saying the label was printed (Chula Vista, CA 30mins away) and it was on it's way to USPS, I would have delivery by Thursday. This is great, I thought. Wrong! Here it is Sunday almost a week later and the modulator STILL hasn't been shipped. Now it's late. I can't install this weekend and I'll have to drive my truck to work another week with no 1st-2nd shifting. Contacted RockAuto via email and they keep saying it has been shipped but USPS track says it hasn't. RockAuto has no customer service phone number (WTF?) where you can actually speak to a human. You can only email their website. I keep getting the runaround from them. They keep telling me fill out their automated troubleshooting form and when I do it just says the item was shipped and they're not responsible for delays. I wished I would have researched this company more before I ordered. Now I'll have to go through Paypal to try to get my money back. I'm thinking that the part wasn't in stock when I ordered and they clearly sold something they didn't have. I've found out that this is a common tactic of theirs. Now they are waiting for it to come in and meanwhile they ONLY printed the packaging label so they can say it has been shipped when it really wasn't thus keeping me waiting while they have my money. Let's face it, car trouble can be aggravating enough and if you order from a company that uses shady business practices it's even more maddening. I'm finished with RockAuto. I will never ever buy from them again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am picky with what I buy from Rockauto. I stick to mostly mundane parts like brakes, rotors, shocks etc. If I need something more specialized, within a tight time frame, I go to a Ford dealer or sometimes NAPA. I have found that our local Ford dealer will negotiate on price against other Ford dealers who sell online. Recently I needed a full OEM heater hose and the local dealer wanted almost $300 for it. I mentioned I would rather buy it from another dealer online for $216 and they priced matched it. Rockauto isn't the only online parts seller with issues. In fact, I would say they are not too bad overall. Just be careful about what you buy from them. Especially if it is a critical time sensitive part. But then I would say the same for any online parts seller. I agree with you on Rockauto's customer service. It sucks.

I like Summit Racing. Very nice to work with.

Yeah, I hear things like this a lot, not about Rock Auto specifically but...

I work a customer service job at Digi-Key Electronics and I do hear plenty of complaints like this about other companies. I'm going to make some comments, in no particular order. This is a very long post... it's a deep subject and if you are not interested in the plight of manufacturing and customer service, feel free to skip it.

1) As a general rule, customer service is getting worse across all industries. Why? There was a general trend this way for quite a while because customer service is not a direct-profit center and a lot of companies had already abandoned personal customer service hoping automated service would be enough. This trend climbed steeply with COVID and many more companies flipped to automated service out of necessity or sometimes as an excuse. My company has resisted this trend and customers can talk to actual people. And not just people, people who are actual employees who live in the US (mostly MN where we are based), people who are actually trained and empowered to fix problems immediately. And they are there 24/7/365. That phone service has been in continual service for over 10 years. I'm telling you all this not to brag (though it is amazing) but to show it can be done in today's conditions.

2) Every company across every sector from simple food products to exotic electronics and vehicles has struggle to keep product in their warehouses. Why? Again, there was a general trend that goes back to the 1980's and a concept learned from Japan called 'Just in time' manufacturing. The idea was to keep inventory to an absolute minimum, that any manufacturing material, be it flour, sheet metal, or computer chips, was a waste of money sitting on the shelf waiting to be used. Suppose you assemble cars. You decide you are going to make 251 cars on Tuesday. 'Just in time' dictates that you order exactly 251 rear view mirrors to be delivered that Monday. You don't store anything long-term. You do not maintain a warehouse to keep anything extra because extra costs money. This has been taken to sometimes extreme measures. My company gets orders like 5,281 capacitors that must be on their dock on a specific day, no sooner, no later. These are 5 cent parts!

Now, I'm telling you this because of this next point: This is a fragile system. If that box of capacitors spills open because it got jammed in a UPS sorting facility, it's a HUGE deal. Suppose the customer is a company that makes boards that they sell to a radio company that makes radios that go in cars. That spilled box can jam up a vehicle assembly line down the road because everybody is doing 'just in time'. Our warehouse is in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. We have customers sometimes do 'will call', and they are based in a place like Los Angeles. They put a person on a plane to come get the parts because over-night shipping isn't fast enough... an idle factory is expensive, a broken contract even more-so.

Now, take this fragile system and hit it with COVID. The systems collapse. Warehouses that did keep an inventory emptied out quickly. This is why toilet paper was hard to get for a while.... nobody wanted to maintain a 100,000 sq ft warehouse with extra toilet paper just in case because space and stored inventory cost money.

This will not get any better anytime soon. Why? Because companies sized production capacity to match the 'just in time' model. The pipelines and warehouses are empty. So, you resume production after COVID and you have the capacity to meet demand if you are lucky, but the pipeline remains dry and the warehouses remain empty. If your machine makes 10,000 capacitors per hour, you cannot twist a knob and make 20,000 per hour. It is what it is. And you can't just buy another one million dollar capacitor maker off the shelf either. Same applies to practically every product you buy. This will be a very slow recovery, and when supply is down, demand increases, and you will pay more. My company has suppliers that are forecasting their next delivery of products like certain integrated circuit chips in 2024. That's how far behind they are.

3) Warehousing practices are changing. Do you remember when Amazon used to ship the day after your order? Now it's out to 3-4 days. Why? Companies are starting to implement off-line warehouses where they keep low-demand items. So, a customer orders, the item has to ship from the low-demand warehouse to on-line warehouse and then ships on to the customer. Why? Because of cost. You put that off-line warehouse where land and labor is cheap. If you have to keep inventory, you keep it in the cheapest place you can get away with. I know for a fact that Rock Auto does this.

Sometimes, they don't warehouse at all. My electronics company gets orders from other electronics companies to drop ship to their customers. We are happy to do this because we put our brand on the boxes and paperwork, and maybe they will buy directly from us next time.

4) Delivery companies are having problems and I don't know the root cause. But, UPS, FedEx and USPS are failing to meet delivery dates at an alarming rate. This has been noticeably worse in the last 2 months. I suspect it has to do with COVID and mandatory isolation but I don't know that for sure. It follows though, if airlines are cancelling flights because of isolated pilots, freight carriers will have the same problem.

But, I will say this: We shipped around 8 million boxes last year. In order of delivery reliability, FedEx is the best, UPS is a close second and USPS is a distant third. USPS does very strange things. If I personally order a package and it has to go USPS, it gets to the Twin Cities and then it bounces back and forth between Minneapolis and St Paul, back and forth at least twice, and then it finds it's way out and moves forward again. I avoid USPS if I can.

5) So, what can you do? Yes, for a time critical item, you want to go with someone that has telephone customer service based in the US. Order by phone if you can. Ask them how many they have in stock and if they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. Ask them where it is shipping from. If they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. Ask them when it will actually ship, be specific, tell them you don't want the label date, you want the actual date the carrier picks it up. If they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. A world-class company will be able to do all of these things.

This was a very long post and I'm sorry about that. But, everything I wrote applies to practically everything you use, and I'm hoping people who order things on-line will benefit from it.

I’m sorry to hear that. And i have to agree with 94Eddie and time sensitive parts are better to be looked for as local/close as possible. As i understand it, rock auto has several warehouses across the US.
Service hotlines are very cost intensive and on the other hand rockauto has ridiculously good prices for the customer.
But honestly your experience is not a reason to generally bash this company that for the most part has good service.
But as you say, car trouble can be aggravating.
I have been ordering from rockauto for the explorer and several times in the past for my 50+ yo car. Never had any problems (communication,payment,tax,availability,shipment) and always arrived EXACTLY on time. And that from someone across the pond.
Have a blessed Sunday y’all.

Ive bought a tonnes of parts for my explorer internationally from Rockauto with zero problems

Rockauto was a sponsor of this site for a long time. After seeing many complaints such as what the OP posted, and also issue with returns, I chose not to keep them on as vendor.

This was a very long post and I'm sorry about that. But, everything I wrote applies to practically everything you use, and I'm hoping people who order things on-line will benefit from it.
interesting insight!
My manual tensioners i ordered via ebay (USPS) made circles through 5 states before arriving at an international airport very close to the point where they started. Very strange.
Took two weeks, so still better than the firstly estimated 4 weeks.

Customer service costs money. Rock Auto offers great prices by minimizing their overhead. It's a gamble that I usually win at, but there have also been some frustrations. As others mentioned, if it's critical to get the right part, right away, they would not be my first choice.

To be totally fair though, shipping anything is horrible currently, I mailed christmas cards 2.5 weeks before the holiday as has always been my personal custom, most went where they were supposed to go quickly, the one that goes to Australia just arrived a couple of days ago(which isn't entirely unexpected), but one that only went 35 miles south and didn't have to even cross a state line just showed up on like the 18th.
Delivery through companies other than USPS sucks too, I've been having packages left all over hell and half of Georgia, drivers somehow managing to miss the giant neon yellow and black 107 I have painted on my mailbox and delivering my stuff to 207 because it's the only other address on the street that has a 7 in it, leaving boxes across the street where there isn't even a house, mashing way too large of packages into the mailbox when they could just toss them over the gate if they're not bright enough to open it (I know the latch is a little strange but come on, it's not rocket surgery). I'm seriously just waiting for something large and heavy to somehow end up on the roof, and it'll probably be the roof on the back side of the garage where I'll never find it.

To be totally fair though, shipping anything is horrible currently, I mailed christmas cards 2.5 weeks before the holiday as has always been my personal custom, most went where they were supposed to go quickly, the one that goes to Australia just arrived a couple of days ago(which isn't entirely unexpected), but one that only went 35 miles south and didn't have to even cross a state line just showed up on like the 18th.
Delivery through companies other than USPS sucks too, I've been having packages left all over hell and half of Georgia, drivers somehow managing to miss the giant neon yellow and black 107 I have painted on my mailbox and delivering my stuff to 207 because it's the only other address on the street that has a 7 in it, leaving boxes across the street where there isn't even a house, mashing way too large of packages into the mailbox when they could just toss them over the gate if they're not bright enough to open it (I know the latch is a little strange but come on, it's not rocket surgery). I'm seriously just waiting for something large and heavy to somehow end up on the roof, and it'll probably be the roof on the back side of the garage where I'll never find it.
I understand what you're saying but in my case this is a tactic that RockAuto uses all the time. Selling goods that aren't physically in their possession. Anytime I go to tracking it just says they created the label, not shipped, just created the label. It's been a week already. Which is bullshit.

Rockauto has always been great for me. Their prices cant be beat and I really like shopping their closeouts and private label parts for the deals. I built my last ohv engine with mostly closeout parts (gaskets, head bolts, plugs, etc) for a fraction of the cost and when I bought my 2nd Explorer I did all the maintenance items and a few component replacements with parts from them without a single issue. I have had a few minor issues here and there with damaged items in the shipment that were dealt with quickly. One example was some broken bulbs that I notified them of and a replacement was sent right away.

Its always the bad reviews you hear when something goes wrong and I am guilty of that myself when I get mad and leave a negative review of something so I'm just putting in my two cents for all my good experiences ordering with them for the last 5+ years.

I understand what you're saying but in my case this is tactic that RockAuto uses all the time. Selling goods that aren't physically in their possession. Anytime I go to tracking it just says they created the label, not shipped, just created the label. It's been a week already. Which is bullshit.
Totally getting you there, definitely not defending rotten business practices lol
If nothing else, once they acquire it the next nightmare begins, and you get to deal with the crappy state of shipping

I do shop Rockauto, but if the part is code red, I’ll shop locally…

I do shop Rockauto, but if the part is code red, I’ll shop locally…
Good move. From now on I'll stick with Ebay, Autozone, O'Reilly and the Junkyard.

Cj pony is another to watch, we had ordered some exhaust pipes from them not only was the mid pipe 2 weeks late when the box did arrive it was the same pipe section that did arrive on time! 4 weeks to get it all sorted. Also ordered a BBK cold air kit from them and when it came in it was rusting and rivets where loose that could have fallen in the intake. Now CJ pony might not be to blame for that but still goes to show ya just never know!

Monday ordered a transmission modulator for my Explorer (A4LD) and figured it would be at my door by the weekend so I could install it. RockAuto sent tracking info that very day saying the label was printed (Chula Vista, CA 30mins away) and it was on it's way to USPS, I would have delivery by Thursday. This is great, I thought. Wrong! Here it is Sunday almost a week later and the modulator STILL hasn't been shipped. Now it's late. I can't install this weekend and I'll have to drive my truck to work another week with no 1st-2nd shifting. Contacted RockAuto via email and they keep saying it has been shipped but USPS track says it hasn't. RockAuto has no customer service phone number (WTF?) where you can actually speak to a human. You can only email their website. I keep getting the runaround from them. They keep telling me fill out their automated troubleshooting form and when I do it just says the item was shipped and they're not responsible for delays. I wished I would have researched this company more before I ordered. Now I'll have to go through Paypal to try to get my money back. I'm thinking that the part wasn't in stock when I ordered and they clearly sold something they didn't have. I've found out that this is a common tactic of theirs. Now they are waiting for it to come in and meanwhile they ONLY printed the packaging label so they can say it has been shipped when it really wasn't thus keeping me waiting while they have my money. Let's face it, car trouble can be aggravating enough without this bait answitch bullshit. I will never ever buy from this RockAuto again.
Just brought a starter ( fedex), got it In two day. Just cancel the order, and get it from somewhere else. I had problems in the past, where I ordered a part and got a empty box, or a used part. But that works both ways the customers sho return parts. My mailman told they are making changes in the usps system and things are going too take longer.

Just brought a starter ( fedex), got it In two day. Just cancel the order, and get it from somewhere else. I had problems in the past, where I ordered a part and got a empty box, or a used part. But that works both ways the customers sho return parts. My mailman told they are making changes in the usps system and things are going too take longer.
I am currently in the process of cancelling. Going through Paypal. I've already bought another one from somewhere else.

Yeah, I hear things like this a lot, not about Rock Auto specifically but...

I work a customer service job at Digi-Key Electronics and I do hear plenty of complaints like this about other companies. I'm going to make some comments, in no particular order. This is a very long post... it's a deep subject and if you are not interested in the plight of manufacturing and customer service, feel free to skip it.

1) As a general rule, customer service is getting worse across all industries. Why? There was a general trend this way for quite a while because customer service is not a direct-profit center and a lot of companies had already abandoned personal customer service hoping automated service would be enough. This trend climbed steeply with COVID and many more companies flipped to automated service out of necessity or sometimes as an excuse. My company has resisted this trend and customers can talk to actual people. And not just people, people who are actual employees who live in the US (mostly MN where we are based), people who are actually trained and empowered to fix problems immediately. And they are there 24/7/365. That phone service has been in continual service for over 10 years. I'm telling you all this not to brag (though it is amazing) but to show it can be done in today's conditions.

2) Every company across every sector from simple food products to exotic electronics and vehicles has struggle to keep product in their warehouses. Why? Again, there was a general trend that goes back to the 1980's and a concept learned from Japan called 'Just in time' manufacturing. The idea was to keep inventory to an absolute minimum, that any manufacturing material, be it flour, sheet metal, or computer chips, was a waste of money sitting on the shelf waiting to be used. Suppose you assemble cars. You decide you are going to make 251 cars on Tuesday. 'Just in time' dictates that you order exactly 251 rear view mirrors to be delivered that Monday. You don't store anything long-term. You do not maintain a warehouse to keep anything extra because extra costs money. This has been taken to sometimes extreme measures. My company gets orders like 5,281 capacitors that must be on their dock on a specific day, no sooner, no later. These are 5 cent parts!

Now, I'm telling you this because of this next point: This is a fragile system. If that box of capacitors spills open because it got jammed in a UPS sorting facility, it's a HUGE deal. Suppose the customer is a company that makes boards that they sell to a radio company that makes radios that go in cars. That spilled box can jam up a vehicle assembly line down the road because everybody is doing 'just in time'. Our warehouse is in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. We have customers sometimes do 'will call', and they are based in a place like Los Angeles. They put a person on a plane to come get the parts because over-night shipping isn't fast enough... an idle factory is expensive, a broken contract even more-so.

Now, take this fragile system and hit it with COVID. The systems collapse. Warehouses that did keep an inventory emptied out quickly. This is why toilet paper was hard to get for a while.... nobody wanted to maintain a 100,000 sq ft warehouse with extra toilet paper just in case because space and stored inventory cost money.

This will not get any better anytime soon. Why? Because companies sized production capacity to match the 'just in time' model. The pipelines and warehouses are empty. So, you resume production after COVID and you have the capacity to meet demand if you are lucky, but the pipeline remains dry and the warehouses remain empty. If your machine makes 10,000 capacitors per hour, you cannot twist a knob and make 20,000 per hour. It is what it is. And you can't just buy another one million dollar capacitor maker off the shelf either. Same applies to practically every product you buy. This will be a very slow recovery, and when supply is down, demand increases, and you will pay more. My company has suppliers that are forecasting their next delivery of products like certain integrated circuit chips in 2024. That's how far behind they are.

3) Warehousing practices are changing. Do you remember when Amazon used to ship the day after your order? Now it's out to 3-4 days. Why? Companies are starting to implement off-line warehouses where they keep low-demand items. So, a customer orders, the item has to ship from the low-demand warehouse to on-line warehouse and then ships on to the customer. Why? Because of cost. You put that off-line warehouse where land and labor is cheap. If you have to keep inventory, you keep it in the cheapest place you can get away with. I know for a fact that Rock Auto does this.

Sometimes, they don't warehouse at all. My electronics company gets orders from other electronics companies to drop ship to their customers. We are happy to do this because we put our brand on the boxes and paperwork, and maybe they will buy directly from us next time.

4) Delivery companies are having problems and I don't know the root cause. But, UPS, FedEx and USPS are failing to meet delivery dates at an alarming rate. This has been noticeably worse in the last 2 months. I suspect it has to do with COVID and mandatory isolation but I don't know that for sure. It follows though, if airlines are cancelling flights because of isolated pilots, freight carriers will have the same problem.

But, I will say this: We shipped around 8 million boxes last year. In order of delivery reliability, FedEx is the best, UPS is a close second and USPS is a distant third. USPS does very strange things. If I personally order a package and it has to go USPS, it gets to the Twin Cities and then it bounces back and forth between Minneapolis and St Paul, back and forth at least twice, and then it finds it's way out and moves forward again. I avoid USPS if I can.

5) So, what can you do? Yes, for a time critical item, you want to go with someone that has telephone customer service based in the US. Order by phone if you can. Ask them how many they have in stock and if they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. Ask them where it is shipping from. If they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. Ask them when it will actually ship, be specific, tell them you don't want the label date, you want the actual date the carrier picks it up. If they can't tell you, that's not a good sign. A world-class company will be able to do all of these things.

You nailed it. JIT is a mistake for a huge country like USA. Avoiding inventory taxes and maintenance of huge facilities has unintended consequences. There is a partnership between USPS and other carriers like UPS and Fed Ex where USPS handles a lot of the smaller stuff, there's your weak link. Even Walmart which is rock solid, having a hard time keeping up with deliveries. For car parts, if I'm in a hurry, just checking the local parts stores for what's in stock I can pick up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You nailed it. JIT is a mistake for a huge country like USA. Avoiding inventory taxes and maintenance of huge facilities has unintended consequences. There is a partnership between USPS and other carriers like UPS and Fed Ex where USPS handles a lot of the smaller stuff, there's your weak link. Even Walmart which is rock solid, having a hard time keeping up with deliveries. For car parts, if I'm in a hurry, just checking the local parts stores for what's in stock I can pick up.
What is a problem for me is. The price difference. Sometime the price is very high locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back